Unknown Pillbox near Happisburgh, Norfolk.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Shuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I was driving down the Norfolk Coast road when I found this Pillbox by the side of the road. Also a very strange Building and more besides around the surrounding fiels. Can anyone help me with th age of the Pillbox? And what is the Weird building
DSCF1019.png
DSCF1016.png
DSCF1015.png
DSCF1014.png
DSCF1013.png
DSCF1012.png

I think the pillbox is a Type 26. Not sure about the other building.

Is it near an airfield or a coastal gun battary?

I think the pillbox is a Type 26. Not sure about the other building.

Is it near an airfield or a coastal gun battary?

Phil there was what looked like other buildings in the area too. There were a couple of Brick built jobs right by the sea which I never did get to. Another time I will. Also other ones dotted around the surrounding fields too_On further Research I found mention of A C.H Radar Station at Happisburgh!. Could this have been to do with it?:confused:

Just looked at Happisburgh on Google Earth and the BOD datbase.Youv'e got loads of stuff there.How long does it take to get there from Cromer? Going up ther soon and might take a run down.

How long does it take to get there from Cromer?

Probably about half an hour, as long as you don't do it on a Sunday afternoon when the blue hair brigade are out sightseeing in force :)

It's a good route if you've got time to spare. Pillboxes on the Overstrand Road on the way out of Cromer and various bits around Mundesley. That said, there's loads heading out the other way too!

Thanks HypoBoy.

East of Cromer has been on my must do list for a while.I've done quite a lot in the Weybourne/Kelling/Salthouse area.Loads to see on that North Norfolk coast.

Got a flash earth link to the exact location shuck? If you can give me a pointer, I might have a better idea from the days when I lived round there. If not, one of my family might know.

I have not got the foggiest how to do that Hypo! It is on the road between Sea Palling and Happisburgh right next to the sea. There was what seemed to be and What I was told was a Gun mplacement. Later I found out it was part of an Old Radar Station. A future explore I think.:)

Just looked at Happisburgh on Google Earth and the BOD datbase.Youv'e got loads of stuff there.How long does it take to get there from Cromer? Going up ther soon and might take a run down.

From Cromer down to Happisburgh your probably talking 15 mins tops.:)

Thanks HypoBoy.

East of Cromer has been on my must do list for a while.I've done quite a lot in the Weybourne/Kelling/Salthouse area.Loads to see on that North Norfolk coast.

There is an awful lot east of Cromer Phil.:)

That sounds familiar, Shucky. I think you're onto something there and the buildings would have been part of it.
I agree with Phillip...looks like a T26. :)

O.k thanks Foxy I just was not sure thats all. Do you think if it was a C.H Radar station I should also be looking out for Bunkers and the like.:)

Probably about half an hour, as long as you don't do it on a Sunday afternoon when the blue hair brigade are out sightseeing in force :)

It's a good route if you've got time to spare. Pillboxes on the Overstrand Road on the way out of Cromer and various bits around Mundesley. That said, there's loads heading out the other way too!
Oh God YEAH! I was on my way down to Happisburgh and the Blue Hair Brigade were out in force! I was doing my biscuit I tell ya!!:mrgreen:

Do you think if it was a C.H Radar station I should also be looking out for Bunkers and the like.:)

Not specifically, I'd have thought. I can't speak for all of them, but they were mostly just buildings. The Radio Control Room had an extra reinforced concrete room inside it's building, there was usually a secondary Control Room, a Generator Room, and the plinth for the mast, plus various other buildings such as barracks, Officers Quarters, and so on. I guess it depends on the importance of the site, but they did vary. :)

Not specifically, I'd have thought. I can't speak for all of them, but they were mostly just buildings. The Radio Control Room had an extra reinforced concrete room inside it's building, there was usually a secondary Control Room, a Generator Room, and the plinth for the mast, plus various other buildings such as barracks, Officers Quarters, and so on. I guess it depends on the importance of the site, but they did vary. :)

Thanks Foxy the best I can do is get over there and take some shots of what is left.:)

Back