Unknown site, Pontypool, Wales - Jan 2011 (Pic HEAVY)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Timster1973

Hi all,

History of this place unknown, was a spur of the moment trip following instructions from a fellow photographer so my directions will sound vague! :mrgreen:

This place is situated in Varteg, Pontypool. Go through Ponty and onto Varteg, turn left at the Globe pub which is signposted "The British Industrial Estate" - this place is known as the British. Quite a desolate spot as its mainly motocross riders and dog walkers who use this area.

This is all I have but I'll be happy to point you in the right direction if required so please PM me if you need anything.

Pics below

Atthegates.jpg

TheHotSeat.jpg

Redundant.jpg

Nothinghereeither.jpg

Nolongeruseful.jpg

Needsatidyup.jpg

Needsaskip.jpg

Mainbuildingsideon.jpg

Lookout.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

GEM.jpg

Conedoff.jpg

Timefornewwindows.jpg

Throughthegates.jpg

Mate, Google is your friend!!!

A quick search on the industrial estates address and remembering the 'SWP' logo on the gate points to "South Wales Profilers Ltd", a sheet metal company.

Hope this helps and I love the photos :)

have gone up there a few times on the weekends, but never been able to get any pix due to all the bikes, they use it as a meeting place and a repair shop, will have to try and get up there during the week.

This was a Saturday mate. No one around.

have gone up there a few times on the weekends, but never been able to get any pix due to all the bikes, they use it as a meeting place and a repair shop, will have to try and get up there during the week.

Nelly, LOL. Yeah how observant considering I use Google for everything else!! As I say "JFGI" ;)

Mate, Google is your friend!!!

A quick search on the industrial estates address and remembering the 'SWP' logo on the gate points to "South Wales Profilers Ltd", a sheet metal company.

Hope this helps and I love the photos :)

I suspect the history of this site goes much further back than SWP as the building in the last pic looks like a colliery winder house.

Edit: Formerly the site of the British Ironworks Colliery.

Last edited:
Another classic case of shut the pit, 'landscape' the spoil tips, demolish all but the odd useful building and turn the site into an industrial estate - then paying lip service to what went before, vaguely name the site so that the memory of the older generations may be jogged if the subject crops up in conversation.

It is interesting to note that as the mundane modern buildings crumble into dereliction - as similar uninteresting buildings are doing on the hundreds of similar sites up and down the British Isles - it is the original colliery winding house that is once again standing out in testament to what went before and has now been lost.

This site deserves to be remembered as a colliery with all its underlying social history and not just another derelict and bankrupt modern industrial estate.

If you go back up and explore the lower side of the British, you will find the iron works, where the colliery is, there is a fair amount of buildings still there and the mine is still visible, it's still flooded but we keep trying to get in there. I have done a couple of reports o. It over the years, if you search they are in the archive sections.

I suspect the history of this site goes much further back than SWP as the building in the last pic looks like a colliery winder house.

No, that's another site.

No, that's another site.

Sals thread
[ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=3662[/ame]

My thread from a few years back

[ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=3649[/ame]

Looks like the same winder house, perhaps they have incorrectly identified it?

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/mines/Brit... to be identified elsewhere as a powerhouse.]

Last edited:
Again, WoW.... i love what you do with your shots!

CANNOT stop looking and admiring these!!:mrgreen:

Thats cool, I been trying to do the underground of that site for years and the water table is dropping rapidly so hopefully this year ill get chance to climb down the ladder.

Hi all,

History of this place unknown, was a spur of the moment trip following instructions from a fellow photographer so my directions will sound vague! :mrgreen:

This place is situated in Varteg, Pontypool. Go through Ponty and onto Varteg, turn left at the Globe pub which is signposted "The British Industrial Estate" - this place is known as the British. Quite a desolate spot as its mainly motocross riders and dog walkers who use this area.

This is all I have but I'll be happy to point you in the right direction if required so please PM me if you need anything.

Pics below

View attachment 93409

View attachment 93410

View attachment 93411

View attachment 93412

View attachment 93413

View attachment 93414

View attachment 93415

View attachment 93416

View attachment 93417

View attachment 93418

View attachment 93419

View attachment 93420

View attachment 93421

View attachment 93422
Not Varteg which is 2.5 miles further north, its nearest location is Tal y Waun, or Talywain, the site is the 'British' an old mine working area, the building in the above pictures are now in the ownership of G.O.S engineering, so I am informed, a heavy engineering firm in Blaenavon, (or Blaenafon in Cymraeg). The site has been derelict for some years.
Various schemes have been forwarded to devolop the site, but to date nothing seems to be really beyond the talking stage.
The pictures shown do not reveal the sheer size of the British, I would guess it is actually about 1.5km2, problems for development exists due to underground instabilities.
If ever built on it would dwarf its nearby neighbour, Talywain.

But....not Varteg, a small village between the British/Talywain and Blaenavon.

Pics below

View attachment 93409

View attachment 93410

View attachment 93411

View attachment 93412

View attachment 93413

View attachment 93414

View attachment 93415

View attachment 93416

View attachment 93417

View attachment 93418

View attachment 93419

View attachment 93420

Hi all,

Pics below

View attachment 93409

View attachment 93410

View attachment 93411

View attachment 93412

View attachment 93413

View attachment 93414

View attachment 93415

View attachment 93416

View attachment 93417

View attachment 93418

View attachment 93419