Unknown Tunnel (2), Isle of Wight - Dec 07

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Mole

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Well this is the part 2 tunnel to the one I reported on in this link; http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=4640

Once inside it wasnt as long as the last, but it did include 2 wells and a old pump.

I have a feeling this is still in use and takes the filtered water through the rock, from tunnel 1, and it collects in a reservior further down the hill.

Anyway, heres the pics;

PICT5162a.jpg

The small hole top left is the access, most waited outside as they were too chubby to come in.

PICT5163a.jpg

2 openings, both led to the 2 wells.

PICT5164a.jpg

Well 1, was crystal clear, but I cant seem to find a pic :(
This also had a tunnel leading off from it near the bottom, but no one wanted to go in.

PICT5173a.jpg

This is well 2 with crystal clear water.

PICT5174a.jpg

The shaft above well 2, keading to a manhole cover on the surface.

PICT5175a.jpg

Close up of the pump.

PICT5177a.jpg

An old hand pump, it still moved, but didnt pump anything.

PICT5189a.jpg

This water was pi$$ing out of the pipe, proberbly from the above tunnel water feed.

Comments welcome :mrgreen:

nice find mate i don;t know what it is but i would hazard a guess at something like a system to keep clean water flowing during WW2 lol the pipes look rusty enough
matt

Im thinking its earlier than WW2 myself, just from the fact it looks like VIctorian brickwork, and that the hand pump was of a familiar type around 1900 :neutral:

I just cant seem to find any info on it anywhere :confused:

Nice find! I like the design of the tunnels in picture 2. And that water looks good enough to drink.

i wonder if a diver would find anything more exciting going into the well itself? hidden chambers perhaps?

Tunnel IOW.

I seem to remember that in chalk areas networks of small tunnels were dug to collect water from below the normal water table and channeled it into a main well. I think I saw this on the KURG website, this looks a similar set-up?

http://www.kurg.org.uk/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back