V2 Rocket Tunnels, Paris

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zero

The first stop on the two day Paris trip. The tunnels were built by the Germans in world war II to house and store their V2 rockets and associated trains that launched them, although it is unsure if they were ever used or not. The first striking feature is easily the size. They are huge, easily the biggest underground space i have explored.

After meeting Sgt Marshall in Gare du nord, we headed down to the metro and onwards towards our first stop. A little bit of walking and climbing later and we were stood outside the entrance. A quick look left and right and we were in.

We found ourselves in a small quarry which connects to the end of the main tunnel. All we had to do was find it, which took a surprising amount of time. As we searched the quarry for the entrance we ended up going in several loops and circles, returning to the quarry entrance almost 3 times!. Out of pure chance we looked around a corner which at first glance was a dead end, but no in the distance a large arch could be seen. Bingo!.

_mg_4860.jpg

As we drew closer then ground sloped downwards and the real size of the tunnels became clear. Along the route of the main tunnel two other tunnels fed off from the side, but we saved them for later. Instead we headed for the main entrance to the tunnels. At the end two large blast doors around 10 meters in height covered the exit with a guards post overlooking them in the roof. It was said that this entrance was also rigged with dynamite so in the event of an allied attack the guard would detonate the explosives sealing the exit.

_mg_4852.jpg

After taking a few pictures we headed back to the first junction. A short walk on and the tunnel split in two again. The roof was something to be seen. The original quarry roofs were now supported by rows upon rows of carved arches heading off in several directions.

_mg_4883.jpg

Sgt told me that there was another quarry to the north that had to be closed due to a large cave in some time in the 70's. We decided to have a quick look. We discovered a large web of interlinked tunnels much like a reservoir with large pillars, with tunnels spanning off into the distance in all directions. We spent a while wandering around and photographing the remaining features of the quarry before finally heading back to the entrance, and off to our next adventure.

_mg_4897.jpg

As usual more pics will be posted on my site eventually.

They are absolutely huge! Some nice stone work there as well by the looks of it!

The Germans certainly didn't do things by halves.

Nice one, rasclat.

Superb pics & report-looks like you've had a good couple of days over there! Well done! :mrgreen: They are HUGE arn't they! :lol:

hehe, so paris isn't just full of parisians then :lol:

nice find though! and looks in remarkably unchavved condition! sweet :)

Looks like a "Light 15" which is front wheel drive

IMG_6457.JPG

The Light 15 is a type/variety of the Traction Avant (which were all FWD).

Edit - The "Light 15" were produced in Slough for the UK domestic market and as a result were all RHD (as opposed to LHD like the one in the tunnel)

Last edited:
It's hard to make out from the photo but I was thinking it was a Citroen tipper truck, judging from the thing behind the cab.

The Light 15 is a type/variety of the Traction Avant (which were all FWD).

Edit - The "Light 15" were produced in Slough for the UK domestic market and as a result were all RHD (as opposed to LHD like the one in the tunnel)

Thank you, guess I should have looked it up

It's hard to make out from the photo but I was thinking it was a Citroen tipper truck, judging from the thing behind the cab.

It looks like a conversion, the A posts can be seen in the photo, as far as I know they never made this as a tipper

Thank you, guess I should have looked it up

It looks like a conversion, the A posts can be seen in the photo, as far as I know they never made this as a tipper

I'm no expert on the 'Avant', but that front axle does not look very FWD. Just a normal commercial vehicle perhaps?

I'm no expert on the 'Avant', but that front axle does not look very FWD. Just a normal commercial vehicle perhaps?

Unfortunately it is a dark picture and the vehicle has too many parts missing. The grill is very 15 and the bulkhead seems to have no well, which doesn't mean much as the gear box could be under that. This vehicle would have been adapted to the environment anyway and most likely a hybrid. All my experience on this type of vehicle is only with the light 15 so who knows. Different pictures might help with the identity.

Back