Victoria Arches Underground Manchester

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodge

Reaction score
It amazes me such huge vaults of history exist beneath the streets of Manchester, thousands of tons of cars and people pass over this labyrinth of tunnels everyday - none the wiser.

Modern Manchester simply built right on top the sheer weight distributed almost on stilts only nine bricks deep from pavement to arch ceiling. Over 17 arches accessible all with various adornments and character each unique in its own way. Intersected with a long winding tunnel possibly an ancient Victorian road.

A musty yet almost pleasant smell furnishes the air, dust suspended; trapped; glistens in the torch light. The silence once deep into the network is absolute contrasted by footsteps and murmur disturbing the nothingness.

Visited with Havoc, Bigjobs, Gibbo, Andyj23uk, Littlejobs, Spark and Bungle.

First time trying SRT and I can feel myself getting hooked :)

DSCF7291.jpg

DSCF7287.jpg

DSCF7295.jpg

DSCF7285.jpg

DSCF7283.jpg

DSCF7274.jpg

DSCF7272.jpg

DSCF7275.jpg

DSCF7297.jpg

DSCF7300.jpg

DSCF7301.jpg

DSCF7302.jpg

DSCF7320.jpg

DSCF7326.jpg

DSCF7350.jpg

DSCF7347.jpg

DSCF7333.jpg

DSCF7352.jpg

DSCF7356.jpg

DSCF7262.jpg

DSCF7270.jpg

DSCF7353.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Dodge

Last edited:
Superb pics, Dodge. It's amazing the differences with the lights and perspectives of different photographers. Yours look very natural. Good stuff! :)

any idea what they were used for?
By the look of that toilet block, it must hava had a municipal use, maybe ww2 air raid shelters?

They were converted to WW2 airraid shelters, the victorian toilets were joined up to the tunnel network. They were also used for storage by various shops and even steamboat tours which had stairways down to the riverside and the original opening in the arches. There original purpose I think was to bring the road to a higher level and then they got utilised from there.

Heres some old photos which may interest

webmedia.php

webmedia.php

webmedia.php

webmedia.php

webmedia.php

webmedia.php

Before they were converted to shelters the main tunnel which runs down the center was described as "an old roadway discovered under Victoria Street, of cobbled construction"

webmedia.php

The earliest photo I know of which shows the arhces - 1889

H215152ManchesterBrewer.jpg

Thats a really interesting place. And Dodge, you are right about the SRT. I know what you mean about getting hooked!

That's a really interesting set of photo's. To think that's all down there, with everything going on above;)

great pic's! superb bit of history, walked the streets of manchester hundreds of times and didn't imagine all them tunnels underneath.

cheers!!

Back