Warners Holiday Camp, Seaton. Update - March 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure whats happening with Lyme Bay camp then, on the website, they're still advertising for the new year next year, up until 2nd Jan 2009.

Sal, I'm pretty sure that's because the company rented the lease from the then owners, East Devon district Council. What happens when that lease runs out will undoubtedly be up to Tesco.

I'm pretty sure I read recently that Tescos is the second biggest landowner in the country next to the Royal Family now. They buy vast tracts of land simply to stop their competitors from building stores.

Yes, i've heard about the competitors policy. I think it was on that C4 documentary 'The Supermarket That Ate Britain'. I didn't realise how big a landowner they are though. Cheers Krela.

So that's why they are so expensive - got to pay for all this land somehow :mad:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I shouldn't laugh really...it's very scary what these monsters are doing. Fortunately, their store will be very inconvenient for me as I live the other side of Seaton, so I won't be tempted to use the so-and-so's. :mrgreen:

true, it looks like lyme bay is trying to do what Dovercourt Bay did, and keep taking bookings for the following year, then they'll get closed at the end of this year. :'( Looks like another one is about to hit the dust. :'( again :(

true, it looks like lyme bay is trying to do what Dovercourt Bay did, and keep taking bookings for the following year, then they'll get closed at the end of this year. :'( Looks like another one is about to hit the dust. :'( again :(

I know. It's really sad because they get fully booked and it's very popular...been featured on the holiday programmes several times.
Btw, thanks for all your help with the planning department research Sal, and for the extra info re Lyme Bay Holiday Village. :)

More Info.

Took a walk to see what's happening. Demolition has begun but they haven't got very far yet. The chalets behind the main building have gone although the circle of chalets still remains. Took a couple of pics from outside the site. I then bumped into a town councillor that I know and he had some useful information.
Apparently, Tesco haven't yet bought the whole of the regeneration site (despite being told that by a member of the planning dept in a reply to my email), but had initially bought the Warner's site only. On Monday they bought the Lyme Bay Holiday Village site and immediately handed out redundancy notices to the 150-strong workforce. Many of these employees live in housing on the site and have been served notice to be out by Christmas when the Village will be closed down.
Negotiations are still going on regarding the remaining regeneration site and, apparently, there are still other irons in the fire, so it's not certain who will own the rest of the site.
I'll be continuing to visit regularly and hope to document the demolition as it happens.
:(

That isn't good at all. :cry: Wonder if they'll be allowed to stay open through to Jan 1st cos thats when they'll get more money for the new year breaks.

Bad news for the staff tho, loads of camps are closing, and not many new ones appearing to take over. :( grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Foxy,

:( Sal

I keep getting confused as when I went the now derilict side was Haven and the still open side was Warners, although they were pretty much the same park and when I worked for Haven it was all Haven. So is the Hollybush side owned by Tesco now too and they are closing the whole lot down???

Also I have been looking at the pics on the threads but where are the galleries you are mentioning?

I keep getting confused as when I went the now derilict side was Haven and the still open side was Warners, although they were pretty much the same park and when I worked for Haven it was all Haven. So is the Hollybush side owned by Tesco now too and they are closing the whole lot down???

Also I have been looking at the pics on the threads but where are the galleries you are mentioning?

Both parts were originally one big campsite owned by Warners. My knowledge of the exact history since then is a little sketchy. All I know is that it, or parts of it, were owned by Haven and I think Blue Waters was involved at some point too. Both sites are completely different to the original Warners although I suspect the main building of the derelict site remained the same but just reorganised with different doorways, etc.
Yes, Tesco own both parts now and they are closing the Hollybush side down.
Um, galleries? I don't know of any galleries or recall mentioning any. I'll have to check the threads and see if I can find what you mean.
I'll get back to you on that.
Cheers :)

IAlso I have been looking at the pics on the threads but where are the galleries you are mentioning?

Ah! Woke up this morning and realised what you meant! I was thinking of architectural galleries but you meant photo galleries. Doh! Long day yesterday...brain befuddled! :lol:
The format of the Derelict Places website used to contain photo galleries, pretty much like the forums with separate sections for industry, leisure, etc, so that pictures could be put in there as well as on the threads. When the site was upgraded/changed, the galleries weren't included so those pics are no longer accessible.
Sorry about the confusion...hope that explains. :)

ha-ha cheers I have got it now! It was all warners when they did family hols then Haven took over all the self catering sites, therefore the left side (derlict) became Haven and the right side stayed Warners, although if you holidayed in one you could go in other! Then when Warners re-branded as adults only it all went under Haven, then Haven rebranded them all for a year to 'Leisure Holidays', then decided to sell all their full and half board only parks (inc Lyme Bay, Harcourt Sands & Mill Rythe) to Renowned, who sold Lyme Bay on again about a year later to Hollybush! The rest we now know!! Phew, can you tell I worked for Haven for nearly 10 years lol!!!

Thanks for the history info, Nat. That's very useful as I'm planning on collating a full history from it's beginning to the final demolition together with pics for my website (when I finally get my act together! :rolleyes: ) and...I can't believe this, but I was going to say 'every little helps', which is damn ironic considering who just bought the site! :lol:
You might also be interested to know that the camp site, which began life in the 1930's, was used as a German POW camp during WW2.

Cheers :)

Photographers Rights And The Law In The UK

Despite the law being clear on a citizen's rights to freely take pictures in public places (with a few restrictions) there is growing evidence of the police, police community support officers (PCSOs), security guards and general jobsworths failing to respect the rights of photographers going about their lawful business.

ive been told tescos buy under a differernt name to bypass a sertan law:confused:

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Not certain what the law is but I think it's to do with the Monopoly's Commission. I'm amazed no-one's curtailed their activities under it, tbh. A bit of news though...Tesco don't have permission to build on the land they bought and Sainsbury are very much in the running for getting the go-ahead for one of their supermarkets built...plus they've got some good plans which will benefit the town. :)

Thanks for the info on that, zero. I once did some work experience with a photographer and one thing he taught me was to act like you're official and belong there...anyway, I remember once we were taking some pics at the Castle in Exeter and he calmly removed some bollards, took the pics, then put them back again...even though the castle walls contain the law courts! :lol:

hi

is any of the camp still open or is it all gone any 1 no and was it a bit like hardcourt sands camp and y did part of it close ? thanks jonny

is any of the camp still open

The half that is Lyme Bay Holiday Village is still open, but the derelict side has been completely demolished now. I'm not being funny, but I don't understand text speak so I couldn't decipher the rest of your question, but hope that answered some of it. :mrgreen:
Welcome to DP, btw. :)

. I'm not being funny, but I don't understand text speak so I couldn't decipher the rest of your question, but hope that answered some of it. :mrgreen:
Welcome to DP, btw. :)

It's the state of education these days. Budget cuts have forced teachers to cut down on the number of letters they can use in words.

Back