Warner's Holiday Camp

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightbuoy;13000; said:
Sorry to hear about getting caught -was it Security, the Police, or your favourite -Alsations?!!;)
Were they okay and just gave you a warning?

Hi LB
Just two guys in a car (no uniforms or anything), but it was a bit scary as the one jumped out and I thought he said 'get in the car', or something like that, although I probably misheard. He was very angry, but I just talked with him for what seemed like ages and in the end I persuaded him to let me go if I promised to leave right away and not come back. He was going to call the police at first.
I put a warning about it entitled 'Warner's Warning' on the leisure chat thread. Fortunately I've more or less got all the pics I want, although it would be nice to get some more when it deteriorates further, which it's doing very quickly, now.
Cheers m'dear
Foxy :)

:cool:
Foxylady;13004; said:
Hi LB
Just two guys in a car (no uniforms or anything), but it was a bit scary as the one jumped out and I thought he said 'get in the car', or something like that, although I probably misheard. He was very angry, but I just talked with him for what seemed like ages and in the end I persuaded him to let me go if I promised to leave right away and not come back. He was going to call the police at first.
I put a warning about it entitled 'Warner's Warning' on the leisure chat thread. Fortunately I've more or less got all the pics I want, although it would be nice to get some more when it deteriorates further, which it's doing very quickly, now.
Cheers m'dear
Foxy :)

Phew, sounds like you did well to get out. Even if those guys were Security or owned the place, there's no need for that sort of nastiness:(
Obviously you must have won them over with your looks and they forgot all about the place!:D ;) Well done for persevering with this place -it's a great example that "if at first you don't succeed........." Enjoyed looking through the pics.

Lb:cool:

Lyme Bay, Seaton

Hi everyone,

I have just seen the pictures inside "Harbour Lights" the nice pink, blue and green colour scheme was one in early 1998, ready for that season, and the view inside the chalet is the same layout as the one I lived in when I worked there (not quite so messy though!)

Well done to everyone for getting such great pics youv'e done a sterling job.

Dave

Thanxxx

Hi,Dave,many thanx for the comments on this sadly departed holiday camp...it was one my fave explores,especially seeing the sad swimming pool...I wonder how long it will be before the other half closes down..over to you Detective Inspector Foxylady.
regards
Stu

Swindon

Chelle/Stu,

Changing the subject slightly, where abouts in Swindon are you? I now live near Hitchin but I lived in Wroughton for the first 21 yrs of my life, then I left to work for Haven Holidays, hence the interest in Lyme bay (I had many a happy day by that pool!!)

Dave

Wroughton too

Chelle/Stu,

Changing the subject slightly, where abouts in Swindon are you? I now live near Hitchin but I lived in Wroughton for the first 21 yrs of my life, then I left to work for Haven Holidays, hence the interest in Lyme bay (I had many a happy day by that pool!!)

Dave

Hi,Dave we too live in Wroughton near Pebley Beach..small world eh?
There has been lots of places closing for demolishion/redevelopement and luckily I have captured most,but RAF Wroughton is thee one I missed sadly...
regards
Stu

Hi Foxylady,

I have followed your explorations of this site with both interest and sadness. Another holiday centre dies!

Thanks for all your wonderful pics. Fab as always.

I noticed in the Bar Tariff pic that it says Renowed on it. Looks like they're responsible for killing at least a couple of these wonderful places - they were the owners of Harcourt Sands too.

Keep up the good work and thx. :)

Really enjoyed the report, the pictures really captured that ghostly feel of a forgotten landscape that once brought so much to so many. Good to see the 'Renowned' logo cropping up again, it is such a shame these places are struggling. I have particular fond memories of Harcourt Sands, except there the buildings have not been left to decay, they have instead been burned (on a spectacular scale) and vandalised completely, all to the extent that it has a completely different character to that which Seaton once displayed.

Last edited:
Cheers Bryant. :) I was looking on Google earth earlier this evening and as I skimmed through Seaton I couldn't help but see the camp site. It felt very weird to see it on the map and know it's not there anymore. :(

Thanks for showing these pictures. I really enjoyed what you have all put and I find them fascinating as I stayed here twice- once in 1982, and another time later possibly 1988?, not sure.
In 82 it was owned by Ladbrokes, and Warners was next door (the bit still open). I am amazed to still see the same "Harbour Lights" sign on the building facing the pool!:)
We stayed both times in one of the chalets. There used to be 4 circles of chalets,which we stayed in both times. I think the chalet ring that was remaining when you visited is the ring we were in! I will have to dig out an old photo and see.
Would loved to have seen a picture of the arcade, I spent ages in there putting "Come on Eileen" on the juke box lol. Opposite the arcade was the guest laundrette and shop.

When we returned, the camps had been merged, and a large chunk of the dividing wall was removed near the pool to allow access through. The Ladbrokes complex buildings were not used if i remember rightly, just the residential bits were accessible. For entertainment, we used the buildings that still are part of the Lyme bay part.
So it looks like the Ladbrokes section was later opened up and used again, looking at the pictures, they obviously decided to keep the 80's theme look inside lol

Looking at google earth etc. it seems they had removed a lot of the chalets and replaced them with caravans/statics since I was there.

Can't believe they want to knock it down and turn it into a Tescos. Thats not going to pull in the tourists to Seaton.

I will have to dig out an old photo and see.

I'd love to see any pics you've got of the site. Perhaps you'd like to post it/them on the thread? I'm hoping, at some point, to write up it's fascinating history (including the time when it was turned into a WW2 POW camp) to be put on my website (when I finally get around to doing it! :rolleyes: )

Would loved to have seen a picture of the arcade, I spent ages in there putting "Come on Eileen" on the juke box lol.

That's my real name! :lol:

Can't believe they want to knock it down and turn it into a Tescos. Thats not going to pull in the tourists to Seaton.

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately the deed is done and there's nothing left now. I documented the demolition with photos on another thread.

Thankyou very much for your comments and the additional info, gazza.
Cheers
Eileen ;)

No problem, I think i'll only have a couple of pictures, but will try and find them.

Meanwhile, I remember finding a site about the entertainment at the warner site in the 80's. I've dug it out for you:

http://starmakers.connectfree.co.uk/

Whilst most of it talks about potters (yarmouth) they were resident in seaton for a while in the eighties and if you dig around on the site, there are a couple of other seaton stories on there.

In searching around trying to find that link for you I also found this,
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/starmakers-rock-n-roll-medley/4177908548

Video of the entertainment at warners in Seaton in 1987. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for those links, gazza. Although I haven't seen those particular performers, it still brings back memories of the holiday camp experience. :mrgreen:
All good bits of it's history too. Cheers. :)

Did any one watch that ITV program on a year or so ago:question:, it was where they sent “modern families” to a 1950’s style holiday camp… any way two things: first it didn’t look that “fun” to me... activities included mass exorcise, getting up at seven (bearing in mind you’re on holiday), general lack of alcohol, etc, etc :eek::D. second thing, does any one know where it might have been filmed:question: as I am sure the camp was genuine 1940-50’s judging by design, and if its not in use it could be a fascinating location…

Great find foxy (thought I’d mention that now as I was not a member when you originally posted better late than never, great pictures). That’s certainly not the usual, is it still there? And what sort of state is it in?

:) :question: :)

This was filmed at atherfield bay nr brighstone on the isle of wight

Would it be alrite, if you was to walk backwards and forwards on the pavement where the deliveries for the building works of the Tesco enter, if oyu get what I mean? Basically, obstructing them, but satill in your legal right, because its a pavement?

aye the camp is to close in january 2009 as tescos have bought the site.. what do they need a fucking tescos in the middle of seaton for its a tiny town.. i worked @ lyme bay for the 2006/2007 season and it was a good camp

aye the camp is to close in january 2009 as tescos have bought the site.. what do they need a fucking tescos in the middle of seaton for its a tiny town.. i worked @ lyme bay for the 2006/2007 season and it was a good camp

Hiya Jonas,
D'you know, I can't get my head around what's happening at all with this. Tesco has bought the site, which means they can demolish anything on it, according to one planning officer I spoke to. BUT, there is still a debate going on whether Tesco will be allowed to build a supermarket there, so they obviously haven't got planning permission yet, which they'll need! :confused:
At the moment there's a lot of stuff in the local papers re the Seaton regeneration and one good piece of news is approval of a new holiday/sports and leisure complex to be built on the former Seaton Heights Hotel site, which will kick-start it off.
There's also been a major meeting to start decision making re the Lyme Bay site to ensure that tourism, jobs and enhancement will be to the fore. Tesco have been told officially, according to one article, that the people of Seaton will not be well disposed towards them if they do not provide for the area in a positive way. So, nothing's been decided for definite yet, but the decision remains in the hands of the East Devon Council, Seaton Council, Seaton Regeneration Organisation and various other bodies and landowners. Tesco will have a say, but it's really out of their hands.
Power to the people!!! :mrgreen:

Back