Watchmakers House (pic heavy)

Help Support Derelict Places:

Darklldo

Reaction score
I had a Mettoy or similar name toy typewriter as a boy. In 1959 I progressed to Underwoods and Imperials as a Movement Control Clerk in the Royal Engineers. In 1962 I was bashing out letters in a tent in Aden! Then it was on to electric typewriters including a golfball typesetter's machine on which I could vary the leading (gap between lines) and pitch (gap between letters). Then came a machine with its built in eraser tape. Now I'm on a computer keyboard, and less careful knowing I can always delete any errors. Progress?
No, not progress at all is it. We get lazy over time now we don't have to type with great accuracy. Sad really. I did shorthand as well and lost that as dictaphones appeared. The golf ball was an interesting invention but it didn't really take off did it or was it another casualty of the computer?

Hayman

Reaction score
No, not progress at all is it. We get lazy over time now we don't have to type with great accuracy. Sad really. I did shorthand as well and lost that as dictaphones appeared. The golf ball was an interesting invention but it didn't really take off did it or was it another casualty of the computer?
The only advantage of the golfball seems to have been the ability to change fonts and point size quickly. My wife learned Pitman's shorthand as soon as she left school, and was still using it occasionally in her 60s for making notes. In my army typing test I was allowed three mistakes. I recall typing Daily Orders on duplicator 'skins', where the keys - without the ribbon in then way - cut into the wax sheet so that the thick duplicating ink oozed through to make the copies to go to the messes, guard rooms, notice boards, etc. And any mistake needed a dob of the red nail varnish-like lacquer to fill the cut before retyping with the correct letter. You could get high on sniffing it!

Latest posts