Welsh Presbyterian Church, Liverpool, February 2016

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyryder

Reaction score
This place has always been one of those buildings you go past quite a bit, you know its not going anywhere and it's prime for a root round!

Well I finally went for that root round inside the Welsh Presbyterian Church in Liverpool, so for a bit of a brief history; The church was built between 1865 and 1867, and designed by the local architects W. & G. Audsley. At the time it was built, its steeple of 200 feet, it was the highest building in Liverpool. In 1982, when it was no longer used as a Welsh Presbyterian Church, it was sold to the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star, a religious movement based in Nigeria. They ceased to use the church in the 1990s, it became vacant, was vandalised, and became derelict. There were plans for the leasehold to be acquired by a partnership of the Merseyside Building Preservation Trust and the Heritage Trust for the North West. As of 2013 the Merseyside Building Preservation Trust is undertaking a feasibility study with the intention to make a bid for a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

And the photos:

24864757472_65e37a2e1f_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

Welsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24687271480_ed5585b3c1_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24864771572_52a57f808a_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24864810492_07f2170b59_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24864806262_1ca1e4368a_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24889451781_9eaa235686_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24982719515_131d236991_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24615199009_eca5a7093a_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

24982723235_540a1bcc91_k.jpgWelsh Presbyterian Church by Danny Ryder, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Danny x

Amazing site and photos - my fave by far was the piano & broken chair, how on earth did it survive at all in all that devastation! In the last photo the church looks pretty ok - is it just the back part that is derelict? Great set of pics, really enjoyed

The second to last picture was my fav with that round window - The work that must have gone in to create that must have been astounding

The second to last picture was my fav with that round window - The work that must have gone in to create that must have been astounding

That window is also the first real view you have as you get in too! I'm going to have to go back with tripod though, there's a bit more to explore where there's not much natural light getting in.

Amazing site and photos - my fave by far was the piano & broken chair, how on earth did it survive at all in all that devastation! In the last photo the church looks pretty ok - is it just the back part that is derelict? Great set of pics, really enjoyed

The entire church is derelict, the main part at the front has lost the centre part of its roof and the Vicarage (I think) The part at the back is more torn up, there's an upstairs but no stairs. Also, the very rotten floor falls beneath you in places so be careful ahaha!

Wow, ive actually been here, about a year and a half ago. Nice to see this place again

Nice share, what DirtyJigsaw didn't mention is he almost killed sweet_pea here by accidentally knocking a large piece of brick on to his head! Whilst trying to climb through that doorway to the left of the 'o o obu' wall

Latest posts

Back