Wentworth Bunker Silhouettes and Shadows.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy5518

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Greetings. Quite a well trodden one this, especially going back four or five years. However not too much has been posted recently and we had assumed that it had been sealed a few years back. But, after a chance encounter with Who Dares Wins at the big birthday bash in Bristol a few weeks ago he assured us that it was open for business. So on a cold February morning a trip to deepest darkest Surrey was planned ... !
During the outbreak of WW11 the whole of the famous Wentworth Estate was requisitioned for the military and in the early 1940's tunnels were dug under the grounds for the offices of the GHQ Home Forces - the organization responsible for training and equipping a force to be used for a planned invasion of France. The underground complex consisted of a zig-zagging entrance tunnel, off which were many offices. The whole thing being built from London Underground Cast iron tunnel segments .......

Looking back at the emergency exit ...

DPP_0051%20copy_zpsln88rt56.jpg

From here the tunnel slopes down towards the main complex ...

DPP_0033%20copy_zpsph8joqip.jpg

... and heads towards the first airlock ...

DPP_0055%20copy_zpslyvs6ipp.jpg

... time for some shadows ...

DPP_0054%20copy_zpsvdi57y89.jpg

after passing through the airlock ...

IMG_5843A%20copy_zpsjiwgplkn.jpg

... you emerge into the main spine tunnel with offices branching off to the left and right ...

DPP_0035%20copy_zpsbnwkbbo5.jpg

DPP_0036%20copy_zpsu7ecxgqf.jpg

DPP_0056%20copy_zpsg6dbkrke.jpg

DPP_0057%20copy_zpsj4qi5qkq.jpg

Time here for lots of light painting goodliness ...

DPP_0040%20copy_zpsbovppbii.jpg

IMG_5860A%20copy_zpsxxg4licm.jpg

DPP_0038%20copy_zpsgxpmbpke.jpg

IMG_5858A%20copy_zpsjuoic0yd.jpg

The rooms, all 22 of them, are much the same and are constructed of larger cast iron tunnel segments, once again manufactured for the London Underground or London Passenger Transport Board (as it was prior to 1933)

DPP_0048%20copy_zpsrklofk08.jpg

DPP_0050%20copy_zps3t5hutao.jpg

DPP_0044%20copy_zps0knwd6ae.jpg

... at the emergency exit end of the main tunnel is a sump, where electric pumps would have kept the complex dry ...

IMG_5849A%20copy_zpsvhvo1j1q.jpg

... this contained some of the most moldering steel buckets ever seen ...

DPP_0068%20copy_zpsd6cuzces.jpg

At the far end of the main tunnel there is a turn to the right and through another air lock into another rising spine tunnel which lead to the main exit by Wentworth House ...

DPP_0047%20copy_zpsepempvvz.jpg

DPP_0066%20copy_zpsg57zyueb.jpg

DPP_0045%20copy_zpsewgj6tsd.jpg

DPP_0064%20copy_zpsuewwouom.jpg

DPP_0043%20copy_zpszbv2jzaa.jpg

The now completely sealed main entrance. From this ran a covered walkway into the famous house itself ...

DPP_0042%20copy_zpsfkcgxvtu.jpg

Finally, wasnt too sure if this was Princess Wentie, the bunker guardian. But NO ( its just the missus, being silly !!) Thanx again to Who Dares Wins for the backlit idea. !!!

DPP_0065%20copy_zpsvc1gqsvk.jpg

All in all a bloody great little explore, so come on everyone let the oiks invade Surrey. !!!!

Mate they are a sweet as you like.
It was a good day indeed, do you have the picture of me in the airvent ??????

Cheers Newage

Excellent stuff there fluffy though I have to admit I thing I would get lost down there. I love the last photo

Mate, no one could get lost down there its just one long passage way !! And i bet you'll never look at Mrs F in the same way next time you see her in the garden centre !! :D

Back