westgate hotel newort 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezzab

Reaction score
i am sure no one has not been don this one before it was great fun
info on building
On 4 November 1839 local politician and activist John Frost led a march of 3000 Chartists into the centre of Newport. Here he discovered several Chartists had been arrested and were held in the Westgate Hotel. Troops protecting the hotel opened fire on the marchers, killing over 20 people and wounding 50 more. Bullet holes from the insurrection can still be seen in pillars in the frame of the main door

Statues commemorating the 1839 Chartist uprising have been placed in the street at the front of the Westgate Hotel.

The building is a Grade II listed building, but is currently on the Buildings at Risk Register as substantially unoccupied and beginning to cause concern. The main staircase and richly decorated public rooms are amongst the best surviving examples of their period.

became a night club called the baltica untill 2004 and just left to decay

the bar

the ballroom

westgate4 227 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the lights in the ballroom

westgate4 228 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the ballroom

westgate4 226 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the ballroom

westgate4 218 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the last ballroom photo

westgate4 221 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the main stairs

westgate4 208 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the lights hanging down the main stairs

westgate4 211 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

a can of coke left there it looks old

westgate4 182 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the night club drinks list

westgate4 178 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the newport cherub left on a table

westgate4 171 by ieuanb2, on

veiw from the window

westgate4 163 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

bathroom retro

westgate4 158 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

out the window

westgate4 137 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

over 300 rooms are there

westgate4 124 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

need a bath??

westgate4 120 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

one of the rooms

westgate4 096 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

a lush veiw of newport high street

westgate4 095 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

sealed of the old part

westgate4 097 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

the stairs

westgate4 077 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

once full of holday makers now full of dust and rubish

westgate4 078 by ieuanb2, on Flickr

thanks for looking more like this will be coming hoped you enjoyed it

Well that worked! ;)

It's a shame a few of your photos are out of focus, a tripod is a must for this hobby... It is a lovely building though.

Well that worked! ;)

It's a shame a few of your photos are out of focus, a tripod is a must for this hobby... It is a lovely building though.

i have got one but i had to kep moving fast as i walked passed a senser and the alarm went off i did have one on me

Ive stayed in worse...
Nice first report! Great views from the higher rooms!
Thanks for sharing!

This looks an awful lot like the ballroom in one of the Torchwood episodes, where Jack and Gwen go back in time and we find out about where Jack got his name from.

Nice find, thanks for the post! :)

This looks an awful lot like the ballroom in one of the Torchwood episodes, where Jack and Gwen go back in time and we find out about where Jack got his name from.

That would be because it is the ballroom in one of the Torchwood episodes... ;)

I would say a tripod is your best friend here ;) But that only applies to a few shots. Still an ace explore and report mate :)

Nice to see what it is like now and not much has changed since it closed. I used to DJ in there when it was running as Baltica. The last ballroom photo was taken from the DJ booth where you could just see the downstairs bar if you leant over the front. Those were the days :)

Nice to see what it is like now and not much has changed since it closed. I used to DJ in there when it was running as Baltica. The last ballroom photo was taken from the DJ booth where you could just see the downstairs bar if you leant over the front. Those were the days :)

So when did it close.

Looks a lovely place, shame it is empty.

I stayed there once years ago when I was about 18 or 19 the rooms were lovely. Used to go for a drink there with friends in my younger days too then later for coffee during the day when it got turned into the Baltica. Thanks for posting the pics they are great, makes me feel sad that it's been left like that though. I hope someone has plans for it.

Latest posts

Back