Westworld Raceway and Spirit of the West Theme Park

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highcannons

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Westworld Raceway and the Spirit of the West Theme Park closed in 2008 and were taken over by a number of developers. You can see earlier reports on DP by 114 072 22 on the raceway from 2010 and early 2011. Planning permission was sought in late 2008 for a £25 million redevelopment of the site. The development would include 124 holiday cottages and 100 grass-roofed surf pods, as well as a restaurant, café and surf shop. As the years passed, a considerable amount of work carried on but parts of the development are now stopped as it appears there are solvency issues.

There is now a strange mixture at the site of industrial estate, holiday lodges, leisure facilities and more lodges but part finished. There remains some of the raceway and some of the theme park. It seems the only thing that hasn't changed is the fishing! I have lumped these two 'places' in together as they are in fact part of the same site.

Spirit of the West Theme Park
Despite the 2008 closure the theme park buildings are in pretty good condition. Some are used for various purposes.

Entrance signs still in place.
west1.png

west2.png

west3.png

west4.png

west5.png

west6.png

west6a.png

west7.png

west8.png

west9.png

This waggon is still in very nice order
west10.png

west11.png

west12.png

west13.png

The wheelbarrow kinda sums up the whole site.....
west14.png

Lokomo are a Finnish train manufacturer
west15.png

west16.png

With all this lot you would think the owners would have had more luck!
west17.png

west18.png

west19.png

Westworld Raceway
If you are familiar with the earlier reports you will realise this place hasn't changed much at all!

race1.png

race2.png

Part of the circuit is still flooded
race3.png

race4.png

race5.png

race6.png

race7.png

race8.png

Obligatory bog!
race9.png

Looks like the washing up was done before leaving...
race10.png

race11.png

race12.png

race13.png

Thanks for looking
HC

lol, more like spirit of the 80's! What a fantastic place.
It's the little things like the mugs and the plates that really give you a glimpse into the day to day running of the place, love it!
Thanks for sharing!

you have been busy lately . i thought the main buildings where long gone good effort thanks for the post

Can't help meself...sun comes out and that's it. Plus I has a trip down to Gwythian to see some rescued seals released so had to make the most of it. Theres more wild west buildings etc to see than I posted. It's a good wander round place....

It was such a loss to the oval racing community when Westworld closed, all for nothing. Really sad for me seeing those photos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlFdxS5gyks[/ame]

It was such a loss to the oval racing community when Westworld closed, all for nothing. Really sad for me seeing those photos.

Nice footage, but someone should tell the geezer not to walk over a car someone is trapped in!
Thanks

Nice to see the place again..Hasn't changed much. I always thought the wild west town was a seperate entity so never wondered in..Wouldn't want to be gunned down by a random gunslinger....

A couple of scans from the mid 90's of when the place was full of liquered up cowboys

jim4.jpg

jim10.jpg

Yeehaw....

went here 2 weeks ago was a very nice place shame it shut down lots of videos on youtube of the racing tho :)

Did you go to the bit over the other side of the stream? I couldn't get over there as I had light shoes on.

Latest posts

Back