Quantcast

What's the crack with DP and photobucket?

Help Support Derelict Places:

mockney reject

Reaction score
As you all know photobucket have pulled their 3rd party hosting unless you pay an extortionate $399 a year. This means a load of dead links will start appearing.

What's going to happen on here?

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
As you all know photobucket have pulled their 3rd party hosting unless you pay an extortionate $399 a year. This means a load of dead links will start appearing.

What's going to happen on here?
Nothing. Why would anything happen?

I'll remove PB from the how to add images to your posts thread but that's it.

mockney reject

Reaction score
Your missing the point dude

Your about to have a forum with hundreds of threads with no pictures

For instance my 100 odd reports will now be worthless, along with anyone else who host their pictures on photobucket

Are you planning to open the threads back up to enable them to be re-edited?

Or do as other exploring forums are doing and play with the coding and choose to host the pics rather than risk the forums content and history ?

Last edited:

Gromr

Veteran Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. At the very least open all old threads up to editing for the people that want to put in the leg work to update the links.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
I understand the point perfectly, you just don't like my answer.

I'm waiting to see what Photobucket actually do because their position is currently untenable. Knee jerk solutions are rarely the best solutions. Useful alternatives will present themselves over the coming weeks if PB don't relent.

Hosting images here is an imperfect solution because it's unlikely this website will last forever, you would only be able to use images uploaded here on this website, nowhere else, not on any other forums, and it also adds significantly to the cost of hosting the site (i.e. multiplies it by factors of 10 or more). It would be a last resort and would require much higher member support.

If people want to update their threads with a different photo host they can send me a list of threads they would like unlocked, as I said on the other thread about this.

mockney reject

Reaction score
No offence dude, but that's a very arrogant and blinkered reply.

Photobucket have no intention of going back on it. Lots and lots of people have spoken to them about it

They can only see the money to be made.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
So what do you want me to do?

I've already said I'll unlock threads for those who want to manually update them.

What more should I be doing to resolve your problems with your choice of photohost?

Viable alternatives please.

mockney reject

Reaction score
Maybe actually act like you give a toss that this forums about to loose a shit lod of content.

From what you've said up here it seems like you accept that this place is gonna die.

What ever happened to ambition?

Have you considered asking OT or Maniac what they are doing with their forums?

This is pretty much a photo related hobby, no photos in the history on this site and people will go elsewhere and your traffic will greatly reduce.

Priority 7

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Mockney to be fair its not of Krela's doing and running/admining a website is a fair but of work on its own. I don't see any issue in the replies. Please remember that written replies don't show any context as emotion can't be shown. Your frustration should be aimed at PB their money grab move caused the issue and I suspect there will be a change of heart/price once they realise their product offering is not worth $399 a year :).
Chill guys life is too short and photobucket are to stupid...

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a shit situation. Half the internet is up in arms and broken to a certain extent about it. It's a serious blow to the historical content here and most other forum based websites, ebay and many others too. This really sucks and raises big questions for the internet as a whole and its role as historical record, as websites like this try and be. It's a disaster for a massively large amount of content.

What I have said is that I am waiting for the dust to settle to see what good solutions arise, as they surely will. In the mean time if people want to fix their threads themselves I will unlock them if they PM me. Admittedly this will only fix a tiny proportion of the broken content as most won't bother. What I can do to fix the old content myself I'm unsure, but I am continuing to watch what unfolds on the tech forums. If something useful and viable appears I will obviously implement it. I assumed that went without saying.

There's two issues here, one is getting the photos off photobucket (which cannot be done automatically in *any* circumstance now because by its very nature you cannot access the photos other than through photobucket. You will always have to manually upload them to another host), and the second is how you update the old content to use the new photohost links.

There is a convoluted and complex method of renaming/uploading the photos and using a bit of forum side code to automatically update threads, but it's not user friendly, requires the photos to be locally hosted, uses a subscription based piece of third party software from a small company to run that photo-hosting and will still only work for those who go through the process. It's not a route I'm willing to go down yet as it's incredibly unproven, and would require a discussion between all of us about how we covered costs if we did go down that route. Small solutions like that create as many problems as they solve because they're even more unstable than big companies are. What happens if the hard disk crashes on our server (daily data backups cost a fortune), or the database crashes, or the photohosting software company makes buggy software and we get hacked? etc. This is why flickr etc are a better bet, they supposedly will be around and reliable for a long time... supposedly.

I thought most people knew that OT, Maniac and all the other main players in the Urbex scene think I'm a laughing stock and our interactions have never been positive. What I am doing is going direct to source and looking at the forum management sites to see what solutions other people are using. Currently they're not because there aren't any yet. I'm sure that will change, I hope that will change. This is too big a problem for someone to not step into the breach and pick up what PB have dropped. We'll see! I am only human too and I might miss things, so if you or anyone else sees a good solution please tell me! That's what I was getting at.

I guess it's easy to forget that over the past 11.5 years I have invested a huge amount of time and energy into this site primarily for other people's enjoyment. I get very little out of it personally, mostly stress and hassle, a lot of which goes on in the background because I don't bitch about it or let it show on here, I try and keep this a pleasant environment for everyone. I do what I can, when I can, and I do the best I can, end of story.

Last edited:

Conrad

Reaction score
As I see it not a lot can be done,

-Users can retroactively rehost their images and edit their threads with a lot of legwork.

- The forum can be future proofed with costly image hosting.

Beyond this I don't see an obvious solution.

Users concerned about loosing there photos should save them both locally and online. Maybe it's best not to delete photo bucket photos or accounts on the offchance the business model changes again and the links become good...

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Absolute bottom line - if there's something I can do which is affordable, reliable, and largely futureproof I will do it.

That doesn't exist yet. If and when it does it'll happen.

If at any point I seem to be missing the fact that it does exist, please tell me.

Simple as.

Priority 7

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Krela if I can be of any help let me know, I have looked after forums over the years and I know they are a labour of love in so many ways but they also chew up free time beyond belief.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Krela if I can be of any help let me know, I have looked after forums over the years and I know they are a labour of love in so many ways but they also chew up free time beyond belief.

Cheers dude, most of it is email these days as the forum is locked down from troublemakers pretty well! I get lots of emails from irate landowners and pissy police though. All good fun. :)

Priority 7

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Won't ever be me I always give Krela's name when they ask me for mine :nevreness:.... hold maybe thats why you get all the email fella lol