Whiskey Cottar Hoose, Moray - Jan 2013 (Pic Heavish)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stussy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Seen a report by ZombieSazza and decided to take a look for myself around an amazing little Cottar Hoose that sits atop a countryside hill enjoying splendid views over the countryside.

Apologies in advance for the amount of pics, I always get carried away!!!

Decided this would be my first explore of 2013 and it was one of the best I have done for such a small place, so here is hoping for a great year! There is very little history on the Cottar Hoose, but I believe it has been abandoned since the late 60's and looks fairly untouched since apart from the birds and maybe the odd sheep.

On a mild December day started of with a drive into the middle of the countryside to find a suitable way to get to wee Hoose, it was decided to take the longer more scenic route. I should have went with the easy route! After parking up I took a hike along a forestry road for about a 1.5 miles, constantly checking my GPS to make sure I was going the right direction. At the end of the forestry road, I was about half way there.

The rest of the journey was thankfully downhill but had to be negotiated through a unmaintained part of the forest, with only about a 3/4 of a mile to go, off I plodded making my way through the maze of blown over tress and the many bogs and streams. Thankfully only ended up sinking my foot fully in a ice cold bog once, and handful of occasions falling of the trees, i made it to the other end of the forest to be confronted with a sizeable ditch and barbed wire fencing either side. Safely negotiating these minor obstacles and crossing 3 fields I finally reached the hoose a almost a hour after leaving the car.

My approach to the wee cottar hoose

Ground Floor Bedroom

Don't think these slippers have been wore in a wee while!

True statement, try everything once...

The windowlene hasn't been put to use much lately

Think the owners had a few problems with the field mice

If the poison fails, just drink the bleach with a refreshing drink to wash it down

Then stick yer beets on and get back to work

The hoosework of course, then time for to heat the kettle on the fireplace for the water bottles

A seat for him and her

Time to put your feet up in front of the fire

Hopefully by this time the wife has made the supper and is looking out the finest silverware

Mind n do yer washing up after eating

Bit of light reading before hitting the sack

Maybe even a little tune on the radio, whilst getting ready for bed

At least your nae sleeping on the floor...

Make sure you turn of the lights (think they are gas lights??)

Couple externals and views

The trek back to the car was much easier this time, a walk over 5 muddy fields led me much closer to another part of the forestry road which I previously didn't think went anywhere! Anyway it was a mice day for a walk.

Thanks for taking the time to have a wee look!! :)

Last edited:
Lovely photos, beautiful cottage and looks like a truly amazing explore to be honest. If it were closer to me this would definitely go on my list!

I got the impression when I visited the wee hoose there wasn't electricity at all, maybe that's why they had gas lamps?

I got the impression when I visited the wee hoose there wasn't electricity at all, maybe that's why they had gas lamps?

Think your right, I can't remember seeing any signs of electricity up there, the gas may have been provided by bottles or something. There was a few outbuildings at one time, but all are flattened so it could have been stored in there.

Fantastic place!! Wonderful pics, especially the one with the sink and the glassless window. Got to get up to your neck of the woods! Top stuff :)

Back