Whittingham Asylum at last! VERY IMAGE INTENSIVE.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent shots.. Great place.. My wife used to work in Brockhall Mental asylum in Lango and also at Calderstaones.. these big places where awesome.. She enjoyed her work there.. but tells stories of how some patients where treated. What happened to the patients left at Brockhall Hospital.As it also had a secure wing.. I know the place was redeveloped .. But we moved abroad and nor sure what happened to the place.. Anyone no anything about that Asylum leave a note.. Great job mate enjoyed the pics

The video got me, makes it that much more upsetting when you see these places in such a bad way.
Like a few have said already, that video just shows us how asylums weren't these terrifying, evil places everyone thinks of when they hear the world "mental asylum" ... they were a place where mentally ill people felt safe and at home. It's a shame that the media have given it such a bad name, but I guess that's what happens... It doesn't matter how much good there is in the world, it will always be ignored when something bad happens.

I love this place, and every other asylum. It's heartbreaking to see such a place being left to rot.

Great report, lovely pictures :D brought a tear to my eye looking at the pictures and video!

Excellent shots.. Great place.. My wife used to work in Brockhall Mental asylum in Lango and also at Calderstaones.. these big places where awesome.. She enjoyed her work there.. but tells stories of how some patients where treated. What happened to the patients left at Brockhall Hospital.As it also had a secure wing.. I know the place was redeveloped .. But we moved abroad and nor sure what happened to the place.. Anyone no anything about that Asylum leave a note.. Great job mate enjoyed the pics

This is what I've found out... Don't know how accurate it is though :p
Brockhall Hospital was once Europe's largest mental institution. It was built in 1904 as an Inebriate Women's Reformatory, later becoming a hospital for people with learning disabilities.

The hospital was closed by the NHS in 1992 as part of the government's Care in the Community policy, and the property developer Gerald Hitman, who had earlier bought the lease on the hospital, started to develop the site, replacing the hospital with a gated community, which now contains more than 400 homes, as well as the Blackburn Rovers' training ground and a hotel, Restaurant, and a few other local businesses including a Gym, Spa, Hairdressers, conference rooms, and more.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks to everyone again who has left such encouraging comments on this report.

It is indeed interesting to see the video and it does make your realise that the word "asylum" didn't neccesarily have to have hugely negative connotations. Having said that the film was shot some time after the big scandal at Whitty when several nursing staff were found to be systematically abusing patients seriously including extorting money. I am guessing that they had cleaned up their act a lot. Well worth a look is a documentary screened fairly recently called "A History of The Mad House" or something like that. There were lots of interviews with former patients at High Royds and it was rather disturbing to hear what they had to say about ECT, experimental dosing with LSD, lobotomys et all...

The whittingham inquiry (Feb 1972) is a very interesting a quite disturbing read.

I didnt realise untill a year or so ago that one of the (male) nurses was charged with the murder of a patient in 1970 after the nurse assulted 2 patients resulting to the death of one of them.

It was after the trial that the enquiry was set up "to inquire into the administration and conditions at Whittingham Hospital and to make recomendations"

The whittingham inquiry (Feb 1972) is a very interesting a quite disturbing read. [/I]

Nice one Alex, yeah it was a right mess that. I can remember it making the papoers at the time. The little video I put on the report was done by a bloke who was, well shall we say a little eccentric, but I really think he caught the essence of what the asylum system was all about.

Back