working mens club leics august 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
i cant say where this is just yet so forgive my editing:) This has been on my list since they said it was to close in january tonight i finally managed to get in with encouragement from squirrell 911 tonight was a part recce but i took my camera anyway. its a very strange place to be now after going there for years when it was always packed. here is a bit of history from the bbc " One of Leicestershire's oldest working men's clubs is to close, it is announced.
opened in 1869 after a group of allotment holders decided they needed somewhere to meet.

Despite flourishing up until the 1990s, it has seen a sharp drop in takings since the smoking ban came in.

Members said they were sad an important part of the community and its heritage were being lost.

The building will become the property of a brewery and is expected to become a pub" what they dont mention is that many past members of the committee ripped the place off to the tune of thousands​

your barman for the night
2wmc.png

the bar area
wmc3.png

dominos
wmc4.png

the concert room
wmc5.png

to the stage
wmc7.png

damaged dance floor
6wmc.png

there is still more to see so i will be heading back at some point. ill add more photos to this thread:thumb
cheers
matt

great pics there mate, yet another social club bites the dust.
was there an organ in the club?
check out the stanley club at west hallam ilkeston, on this site !:)

I remember that club!!!
When i saw it on the news.....what a shame:mad:
the Smoking ban seems to be killing all the pubs.....we had the ban here in Spain even longer than in England....dosnt work here though...lasted about 5 days!!!

Last edited:
Bliddy hell! Thats a palace compared to the CIU clubs up in Northumberland, it looks posh. Proper clubs are great, I love mine,cheap as well, I can get a pint of scotch for £1.60 nice:)

went back for a final visit got into the lounge this time and also found the snooker match balls and the original working mens club sign showing the date they started being a working mens club 1876. anyway here are the rest of the pictures.
wmc6.png

wmc7-1.png

wmc9.png

wmc8.png

wmc5-1.png

wmc4-1.png

wmc3-1.png

wmc2.png

wmc1.png

had another crack at this to finish it off
the old long alley skittles (long gone)
wmc3-2.png

bar
wmc2-1.png

the ladies
wmc1-1.png

the cellars
wmc4-2.png

offices
wmc5-2.png

old photo from the 60,s
wmc6-1.png

the great wigston bike club 1913 to 1914
wmc7-2.png

This place looks excellent. And that concert room is very posh, not like the two in Shirebrook lol. Although that concert room does look very narrow, i do like it. And love the lounge area as well, again that's more posh than the lounge in both the clubs here.

Very nice find, i do like this.

Excellent pics mate,

:) Sal

Back