Wrysgan Slate Mine, North Wales - April 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landsker

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Bit of a spur of the moment explore, alarm went off early so decided to head up to North Wales.

History

Perched high up the steep rocky eastern flanks of Moel-yr-hydd, and on the opposite side of the valley to the huge Cwmorthin quarry, Wrysgan is not a big mine - but it is a spectacular one. From the unusual main incline to the sheer steepness of the mountainside it is cut out of, this could never have been an easy site to work. Indeed Wrysgans history is litered with failed companies trying to extract slate here and yet it kept working, somewhat intermitently, from the early scratchings of the 1830's, up to final closure in the (early) 1950s.

1 One of the adits

2 remains of track

3 Cart

4 Spoil heap in chamber

5 Looking down into incline tunnel, This would have brought the slate down to the railway.

6 view from the top of the incline

7 Incline haulage gear

8 A lot of the upper chambers are tall enough that they broke through the mountain.

9 Collapse

10 Passageway between chambers

After just taking this photo I heard a rather unnerving rumbling noise so I decided to GTFO sharpish!

Really digging your underground sessions of recent. Keep up the good work.

Nice! Did you find out what the rumblings were?

Nope, judging by the amount of falls in there I wouldn't be surprised if something large had become detached and slid down one of the chambers. Sounded somewhere deep in the mine but I thought it best to get out anyway as I was on my own!

Back