Zenica Coal Mine - Bosnia-Herzegovina

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarboat

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Zenica Coal Mine - Bosnia-Herzegovina

An explore from my 2007 trip to the Balkans.

This is an old mine opened in 1884 and employs around 1,100 men. The shaft is 275 metres deep and the deepest seam worked is at 410 metres. Brown coal seams here are often several metres thick but the quality is low. There has been little investment in this mine since the civil war and it shows in the state of the buildings.

Permission was granted to view the outside of the mine from the yard but not to enter the buildings. The men working on the tipplers and creeper for the tubs seemed quite happy to see me there but the supervisor moved me off when he saw me taking photographs. A return visit at dusk enabled me to access the washery building which contains some archaic equipment and feeds the bunkers in the amazing wooden structure where road and rail wagons are loaded. This was also remarkable for the fact that water pumped from the mine passed through the washery and then emptied into the roadway where the lorries loaded. Needless to say the whole area was a morass of mud and coal slurry.

A surprising survivor of the old-fashioned type of mine that was once common in Britain.

ZenicaMine3.jpg

The winding tower and tub circuit.

ZenicaMine1.jpg

ZenicaMinecreeper1.jpg

The tub creeper.

ZenicaMinetippler1.jpg

Tipplers

62-650ZenicaShed1.jpg

Under repair in the locomotive shed.

ZenicaMine2.jpg

Loading bunkers.

Zenicabunkers2.jpg

The wooden loading bunkers are an amazing survival.

ZenicaMinewashery1.jpg

Inside the washery building.

ZenicaMinewashery2.jpg

ZenicaMinewashery4.jpg

ZenicaMinewashery3.jpg

62-633ZenicaMine2.jpg

The loading bunkers at night.

62-633ZenicaMine1.jpg

WOW what an amazing place. Love that winding house, and the wooden loading bunkers, very unusual. Absolutely love all the pics with the steam engine, especially the last two.

Excellent find tb, and excellent pics.

Cheers mate,

:) Sal

Love those last few shots, sort of like a 19th century/early 20th century industrial time warp (in my brain at least). The fifth from bottom looks like something out of the Matrix films (those wooden framed metallic sheets remind me of monitors).

What an amazing place. It's as if you have travelled back in time 60 years! Great pics there. :)

Eastern European mines are fascinating. Thats the weirdest headgear I've ever seen! Would love to do a mine exploration tour of Europe. Great pictures Tarboat

Great to see what looks like a derelict ruin still in use!!! Top quality night shots, good work.
Just think how most of the industrial sites that we've explored in this country would have had similar working conditions, only well over 50 or more years ago! And those mad gits are still working like it!:sick:

Fantastic pics, especially the ones of the locos. Surprising they still use steam and haven't gone to diesels.

Fantastic pics, especially the ones of the locos. Surprising they still use steam and haven't gone to diesels.

The survival of steam locomotives in places such as this is partly due to the EU sanctions imposed during the civil war when diesel fuel was very scarce. Even now the country has lots of coal and limported oil is expensive so there is little incentive to invest in expensive diesels. The change will come although I suppose that it is possible that the mine will close before diesels appear.

Back