Old Clynelish Distillery, Sutherland, May 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lost

Reaction score
Old Clynelish began in 1819, stopping and starting production every so often like many other distilleries.
A new 6-still distillery was built in the 1960s as 2 stills in the old building couldn't meet demand. It was taken over and re-named Brora after a very dry summer in Islay - the distilleries owned by DCL over there couldn't produce any whisky. It finally closed in 1983.
I've visited before, over 3 years ago, but only got into the still house and took some terrible 'rookie' photos - this time I covered the whole building.

R0013479.jpg

R0013600.jpg

R0013483.jpg

Condensors

R0013547.jpg

Under

R0013497.jpg

One of a series of cut-off stairways.

R0013505.jpg

Still hatches

R0013533.jpg

R0013507.jpg

The stills

R0013542.jpg

From below

R0013531.jpg

R0013543.jpg

Mash tun

R0013544.jpg

Spirit safe

R0013552.jpg

Empty spaces which would have been filled by the washbacks. The rest of the distillery is in quite a poor state compared with the intact still house

R0013594.jpg

R0013558.jpg

Hoppers

R0013562.jpg

These old sliding doors still work almost silently and smoothly. Not bad for 26 years out of use

R0013568.jpg

R0013564.jpg

Boiler

R0013572.jpg

For reasons unknown the floors have been ripped out in this block

R0013578.jpg

R0013581.jpg

R0013597.jpg

Porteous grain elevator

R0013589.jpg

Some very narrow passageways link the blocks

R0013590.jpg

R0013613.jpg

Last edited:
That's excellent - I went on the public tour of the new Clynelish distillery a couple of years ago, and wondered what the old part was being used for - now I know! Liking the patina on the old stills and the Porteus malting box (pic 20), IIRC there was something v. similar at Imperial. :)

Very nice stuff there Lost, the exterior reminds me of something in Rural France :)

Great pics, so nice to see an absence of vandalism :) any bottle of the stuff lying around the place or hidden somewhere ? :mrgreen:

That's excellent - I went on the public tour of the new Clynelish distillery a couple of years ago, and wondered what the old part was being used for - now I know! Liking the patina on the old stills and the Porteus malting box (pic 20), IIRC there was something v. similar at Imperial. :)

I really need to find out more about distilleries since I've been in so many disused ones. What is the malting box for?
There is an encased viewing area in the old still house, thought it might have been part of the tour.

The lack of vandalism is pretty normal in the north of Scotland. Shame it's been so heavily vandalised by the owners though - stairs ripped out, floors removed, etc.

What is the malting box for?
Box maltings were an old-fashioned method to malt the barley - AFAIK, the barley is steeped in water, germinated, then dried in a kiln - after that, it would be ground up in a Porteous mill (like the box at Clynelish in your photo). Now the process has been industrialised and they use huge rotating drums (like the ones at Hillside outside Montrose) or far larger boxes called Saladins.
There is an encased viewing area in the old still house, thought it might have been part of the tour.
From what I remember, you get the obligatory video, free sample, then take a walk through the tun house and still house and finally across the way to see into the bonds which are right beside the old distillery. I do remember that I wasn't allowed to take photos "in case the alcohol vapour was ignited by the camera's electrics". Okay, I won't use flash then. "Still no." Hmm. Are they worried about industrial espionage? :confused: ;)

Great looking site, think I might've seen the pics from here, or maybe I'm thinking of another place.

I've been on 2 distillery tours & on both I was told not to take photos for the same reasons.

Latest posts

Back