Cardiff Docks

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheep21

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited August 2006

Background

Cardiff Docks modern history began in 1798 when the Glamorganshire Canal linked the then small town with the Merthyr Coalfields. When the 2nd Marquess of Bute inherited Cardiff Castle in 1830's he resolved to expand and improve the small port. Over the next hundred years Cardiff (under the 2nd & 3rd Marquesses) expanded rapidly and its docks did with the Bute Docks in the 1840's and 50's and the large Queen Alexandria Dock completed in 1913.
After WW1 the decline in coal traffic due to oill coming to prominence as a shipfuel and the declining cost effectivness of Welsh Coal in comparison to other sources saw the docks decline too. By the 1980's coal traffic had virtually halted and the Docks were desolate, in the 1990's large swathes of the docks were demolished and rebuilt as Cardiff Bay. Today the only active parts are Queen Alexandria Docks, still in limited use for bulk imports like Timber, Frozen Goods and Steel.
The Port is currently owned and operated by Associated British Ports

Photos

CNV00004-2.jpg

St David hotel from 19th C Graving Dock

CNV00006-1.jpg

Graving Dock No.1

CNV00007-2.jpg

Graving Dock No.1 from the inside

CNV00008-1.jpg

Graving Dock No.1 with Gates open and a Swan! :lol:

CNV00010-1.jpg

Looking down the stepped sides of the graving dock, looks like a face doesnt it?

CNV00011-1.jpg

Looking over from between docks No.1 & No.2 at the Pier Head building and the new welsh assembly.

CNV00015-1.jpg

Machinery for opening and closing the dock gates

CNV00017-1.jpg

Huge gate of Dock No.3, I don't think its watertight any more :mrgreen:

CNV00020-1.jpg

Old Swing Bridge between Queen Alexandria Dock & Roath Dock

CNV00021-1.jpg

Disused Railway tracks leading to the swing bridge

CNV00022.jpg

Points near Roath Dock

CNV00023.jpg

Looking across from the tracks at roath dock towards Cardiff Bay (Adventurers Quay)

CNV00024.jpg

Some sort of Bulk Goods Wagon

CNV00029.jpg

Ship docked (!) in Queen Alexandria Dock (QAD) along side bulk goods sheds & cranes

CNV00031.jpg

Looking down the length of QAD, its Huuuuuuuuuuge with its rather cool 50's cranes.

CNV00034.jpg

Bulk goods sheds (all locked on this side), built in 30's - 50's?

CNV00035.jpg

And look, Cargo! There was tons of this with not a soul in sight. Anyone could have made off with it.

CNV00036.jpg

Looking up from the base of one of the cranes, I love these things, they just oooze style.

Should be going back the last Saturday in April, PM if you want to join me.

Last edited:
Took a wander in the actual "secure" dockyard with Urban-Warrior the other week 'til we were chucked in the back of a van and driven out by security. :lol:

Some interesting old train lines there, and a lot of other stuff.

Took a wander in the actual "secure" dockyard with Urban-Warrior the other week 'til we were chucked in the back of a van and driven out by security. :lol:

yeppy, those are the ones I have come to put on now. I went on a sunday afternoon so the place was deserted. Didnt see a single other person!

EDIT: New Photo's are up

Last edited:
Nice pics there sheep, always wanted a look in the secure side.

Our canoe polo competitions are held in the former dry dock in pic 2.

Linky

J.

Pity you got caught, but you still god the pics out, nicely done. Wayne

Aye it doesnt help walking right into oncoming security lol oh well.. got a nice ride in the back of a van and a trespass lecture.. oh and a 9/11 lecutre why I dont know hehe got some great pics tho.. can be found on my site :)

Back