Brasside Munitions Dump, Co. Durham, May 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimbob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited this with my brother, much to my amusement, as he is a very upright citizen, so persuading him to ignore all the signage, and over the fence took a little doing :rolleyes:

Twas a purely spur-of-the-moment thing, as I had no plans to explore during my brief sojourn in the North, and spotted this on the way to Finchale Priory for some night-time photography malarkey.... as soon as I spotted bunkery-looking mounds I lost all interest in ruined priorys :lol:

There seems to be very little history on this place available, all I can tell you is that is a 1940's munitions dump, apparently built by the Army, but used for Naval armaments :confused: It's also very near HMP Frankland and YOI - so that ramped up my brothers nerves :lol:
There are the remains of tracks which appaently connected it to the main line. There were also 2 bungalows nearby, which appear to have served as gaurdhouses, one is completely fooked, t'other is a private house..

Flashearth here

First view :

Beamishetc090509016.jpg

Say 'Awww' :rolleyes:

Beamishetc090509020.jpg

Entrance, with loading bay :

Beamishetc090509021.jpg

Beamishetc090509023.jpg

Some of the 'bunkers' had no vehicle access, as above, some did, as below :confused:

Beamishetc090509045.jpg

There were some seriously thick blast walls seperating the entrances :

Beamishetc090509037.jpg

They were a bitty graffed inside sadly :(

Beamishetc090509024.jpg

Beamishetc090509055.jpg

And all identical, with the remains of benches under the windows :

Beamishetc090509059.jpg

Beamishetc090509027.jpg

Handy method of transport, as it was a big site :)

Beamishetc090509033.jpg

Looking over the site :

Beamishetc090509038.jpg

Beamishetc090509047.jpg

Bits and bobs :

Beamishetc090509050.jpg

Beamishetc090509066.jpg

Looking back :

Beamishetc090509039.jpg

Enjoyed this, although I so wasn't dressed for the brambles :(

:cry: Me and Daddybear were going to pop over here last night but run out of time. The land around the area was owned by the government so thats why they were able to build the prison where they did (and probably why there isn't much info about it on the net). VeeEight did a post on here http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=4856&highlight=brasside and there are a few posts on 28dayslater about the site. I knew we should have poped over there but thats life...

The site was not a 'dump', this is why you might have had trouble finding info on the net. It was a Ministry of Supply Ammunition Depot.

Amongst the available info on line, there is a direct reference on the RAOC website - RAOConLine.

quote -

It was a Ministry of Supply Ammunition Depot for new ammunition and bulk explosives for and or produced by the Royal Ordnance Factories during WWII and was manned by civi's. Apart from a few Ammunition Examiners (AT's) it had nothing to do with the RAOC

There is also a large complex with its own depot that was ROF Thorpe Arch (nr Wetherby), which is spread over several 100 square acres! as well as a small depot which used to be OSU Hessay (nr York) both of which are now an industrial estates.

end quote.

The window lit 'benches' were obviously where the munitions were examined or repacked etc

No. 7 stands out for me.

Some of the graffiti is actualy quite good there, probably because it's a little out of the way. Probably don't get too many daftys knocking about, especially with the prison being so close.

Good report though, some good photos ;)
I've been a few times, living just on the other side of Durham City. Was a sweet sunny day and all of a sudden - snow storm. The missus wasn't impressed, to say the least :p

Very good find, liking the size of it too !

(and feeling sorry for that poor poor teddy thing)

Latest posts

Back