The Weddington Hotel / Fox & Crane pub, Nuneaton

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portugal7

Reaction score
(Also known as The Grove, The Weddington Grove, The Weddington and the Fox & Crane).

This is one of the last remaining buildings of the Weddington Castle estate (the Castle itself was demolished in 1928 to make way for a housing estate), and had been a pub/hotel since 1934. I was devastated to hear last year that M&B had sold it off for a pittance to a local developer who is known for buying old buildings, letting them go to ruin, then pulling them down and selling the land on…

Since 2008 no work has been done on it except to trash the interior fittings and cut down the trees to the front of the property (which – despite having a preservation order on, the Council turned a blind eye to – as they have to the building’s local listed status).

I was able to contact the former landlord of the Grove, who still had the keys. They allowed me to explore the interior of the building and the outbuildings/stables which are now about to be demolished. The photos I have added are mainly non-bar area (which most locals would have been familiar with anyway!) – and focus more on the interior of the upper floors and the interesting cellar and outbuildings. Before being a pub this was an impressive residential building which the owner of the Castle lived in after the Castle was demolished!

I plan another visit to see how much the place has decayed since my last visit….there have been a few fires since….

If you want more info on this building you can visit the website: www.weddingtongrove.co.uk

Grove20Front202.jpg

stairs-to-cellar.gif

Stairs down to the cellar

cellar---bricked-up-archway.gif

Bricked up tunnel in the cellar. There are legends of a tunnel leading to the site of the Castle, but this is more likely a bricked up wine cellar.

1st20floor20stairs.gif

Original oak stairs

original-tiles.gif

Original Victorian tiles in entrance hall

foxfireplace.jpg

The downstairs bar

first-floor-staircase1.gif

1stfloorfunctionroombar.gif

Disused bar in first floor function room

1st-floor-function-room2.gif

towards-the-attic.gif

Stairs up to attic level

stairs-to-attic-wallpaper-a.gif

attic-room-2.gif

attice-eaves.gif

doorway-onto-roof.gif

Steps onto roof

roof1.gif

Grove20side202.jpg

Grove20back20stairs.jpg

side-grove-servants-quarter.gif

Former servants' quarters (didn't get into these)

stables-outside.gif

Old stables - due for demolition

stable-interior-with-hay-ho.gif

Inside the stables - original hay hook on wall

tunnel-2.gif

Blocked up tunnel to rear

Former20bowling20green202.jpg

Former pristine bowling green in grounds, now overgrown

Discarded20artwork202.jpg

Artwork from inside the building left discarded in the grounds

grove2009b.gif

Last edited:
I drive past this place every day, and I've been meaning to ask if anyone on DP knew anything about it.

Fantastic pics, thanks. Very disappointed to learn about the state of the place and likely final disposition... it's far too nice to be simply pulled down. :icon_evil:

Cheers for your (positive!) comments - much appreciated, especially for my first -but not last - post.
You're spot on re: the developer... he has bought up a number of old buildings in the area and lets them deteriorate before demolishing them. Thing is he's doing nothing with the land at the minute - just a total waste.

Here's a pic of the last acquisition he made (The Graziers Arms, also on Weddington Road, which dated back to 1735) - you can see why I'm pessimistic about the Grove's future..... I am planning a return visit next month so will post an update then.
graziers.jpg

Thanks again
Portugal7

:icon_evil

This place is lovely, shame someone with plenty of money can't buy it and turn it back into a house at least rather than let it be turned into rubble.

I'll buy a lottery ticket tomorrow .....

T

Its not often you get a set of Keys and the Owners full permission! When you do it makes for a Brill explore that you can take at you leisure! Your pics are outstanding very well done!:)

Latest posts

Back