Crypt - St Leonards Church, Hythe. Sept 10

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tank2020

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Nobody Knows how the remains ended up in the Church, some say they are remains of a mass grave from the Black Plague, others that they are the remains of a battle with the Danish, on the beach at Hythe.

The piles consist of Femas and Skulls mostly, some are discoloured, thought to a result of the bones laying in different soils and the resulting chemical reactions.

There are all sizes of skulls including chidren, some with visable signs of trauma and illness.

DSC01605.png

DSC01604.jpg

DSC01598.png

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01583.png

DSC01582.jpg

DSC01579.png

DSC01577.jpg

DSC01575.png

DSC01607.png

I know its not strictly derelict, but is kinda interesting.

I've seen this in a few history programmes, but wondered where it was.
Thanks for posting.:)

cool, i didnt know we had anything like that in england.
isnt there a place in france where the whole church is decorated with the bones of some of the people who died in the plague?

That's Cool, the shot with the shelves of skulls is awesome.

Reminds me of the illegal sections of the Paris Catacombs

:skull:

How extremely bizarre!

Didn't expect to see that on here, let alone in this country.

This place is small but amazing, cost me a quid to get in, and 50p each for the kids.

There is a skull on one of the shelves, its a completely different colour to the rest. It was given back to the church, even though they did not know it was gone. An old man died, and his dying wish was to have it returned after stealing it when he was a young man.

DSC01602.png

Last edited:
wow this place looks amazing! really want to check this out now, great shots by the way thanks for sharing this little gem :)

Yeah, Thanks for sharing that,
I’ll have nightmares for next month or so but thanks anyway, Great Pics, Well Done.
Smiler

Great find. Surprisingly it's not unique in the UK, another one HERE near Leeds.:skull:

Last edited:
Somewhere in my postcard collection I have a picture of this place from the 60s.My parents must have had a slightly warped sense of humour to take a youngster to see such a sight and scare the the testicles of an impressionable young lad.Glad to see it's still open to the public ,thanks for sharing

Anyone up near Leeds willing to visit the ossuary at Rothwell and post some pics of that one?

Latest posts

Back