Radar Station and Observer Corps Post, Aberystwyth - Feb '11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
These two sites stand a little way apart on Constitution Hill above the town of Aberystwyth

The first is the remains of a radar station built to detect low flying aircraft. There is no evidence that it was part of the Chain Home system but a Chain Home radar Station did exist 10 miles away at Llanon (demolished). A modern radar array stands nearby whose purpose is apparently to track missiles and UAVs on the Aberporth Marine Range 33 miles south and to transmit a 'friendly warning' to anyone daft enough to stray into the danger area.

103_0935.jpg

Buildings around first mast site

103_0946.jpg

103_0940.jpg

View to the modern radar station

103_0937.jpg

Mast foot?

103_0956.jpg

Isolated building on the hill overlooking Clarach Bay

103_0957.jpg

Remains of electrics

103_0947.jpg

Modern radar station

103_0950.jpg

Government Property

The second is an Observer Corps post used to spot incoming aircraft. I don't imagine they were ever particularly busy: during the war only a handful of bombs fell on Ceredigion and no-one was killed. A cold war post stood nearby but no trace remains.

103_0964.jpg

Post and trig point

103_0979.jpg

103_0965.jpg

103_0967.jpg

Observation chamber with rangefinder column

103_0981.jpg

Remains of telephone line to the post

-----------

Thanks for reading,

A.

Last edited:
This is very interesting, primarily because there seems to be so little information on it. Even the CH station at Llanon gets scant mention in the several books I've got on it. I feel a trip to the Public Records website coming on! Thanks for sharing!
GDZ

Nice post and in what looks like a great location to spend an afternoon.
Agreed thanks for posting ;)

SK :)

Thanks chaps. Walked up the other side of the hill today and discovered two buildings I'd previously missed next to the local golf course. I'm not sure how they fit in with the other buidings but a connection of some sort seems more likely than not, probably to the radar station rather than the observer corps post.

100_6487.jpg

Ruined building

100_6488.jpg

Barrack-type building

100_6490.jpg

Light switch

100_6495.jpg

Llined with delicious asbestos

100_6491.jpg

Free Wales Army graffiti - I suspect this is less than serious given the graff of a man smoking a spliff in the same paint. Unless they're militant nationalists on drugs, of course, in which case may God help us all...

Untitled.png

Google Overview, to give some idea of the scale and dispersal of the sites. The Golf course is the large area in the centre of the image.

Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who once quipped that Golf was a good walk wasted? Given the goodies on the periphery of this Golf course, I'm inclined to see his point.

Nice report Archivist, well composed photos of interesting remains, thanks for posting. :)

Latest posts

Back