Rooftopping - Harlow. August 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
I experienced over 100 explores before I got my first real taste of rooftopping. It felt different from anything else that I had ever done. Dark, dingy, dusty corridors were replaced with bright open skies and bracing fresh air.

After that first rooftopping hit, I instantly devoted every remaining minute of my trip striving to ‘get high’. Luckily I was in the right place at the right time this week, in a gents toilet with Skeleton Key when he flashed me a cheeky grin with the phrase “So are we getting on the roof then?”
IMG_7488.jpg

But the euphoria of roof topping doesn’t begin at the roof top, the route up contains all kinds of lush plant rooms. (Note: Power still on)
IMG_7434.jpg

Coming to a set of louvered doors I was alarmed to see a figure appear:
IMG_7429.jpg

Some rooftops are industrious and practical, seemingly made up of mile upon miles of walkways:
IMG_7408.jpg

Some cover every available square inch in plant:
IMG_7394.jpg

Some are elegantly crafted in profiled sheeting, with eccentric yet practical vents (This is above the plant room from earlier)
IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7411.jpg

We made our way between roofs, with numerous changes of levels.
IMG_7392.jpg

As we made our way from the bright tubular steel rails to the dark grey asphalt, the sky turned dark grey, giving a completely different mood:
IMG_7482.jpg

One of my favourite aspects of being on a roof is the knowledge that you are actually at the furthest point away from your access. Normally at a dead end. Theres also no reasonable “I just wandered in” excuse for being on the roof. But, as an aside to this you are generally BEHIND any CCTV cameras that monitor the site.
IMG_7365.jpg

But yeah, I don’t think its any coincidence that so many songs are written about on a roof, it’s both relaxing and exhilarating.
IMG_7486.jpg

And the views… this is only 4-5 stories up:
pano.jpg

When I first roof topped, I remember the feeling of standing at the edge. It’s only when you are genuinely one step away from death, do you ever feel truly alive.
IMG_7403.jpg

Once again, massive thanks to Skeleton Key, Nelly, and Madaxe for being amazing company.

nice! Love the wedgewire walkways

I dont think i would have the minerals to do a roof explore, but only from the risk of being caught. I love being up high on roofs or towers, its an amazing feeling. What i dont like is ladders! Give me a proper climbing belt and an antenna to fix...

It was a great day and fantastic to meet new faces, As Mr X said, Skeleton Key and myself had visited this site a week earlier but was thwarted in our attempt to do the roof by a persistent sec in a white van :(

So it was a revisit, this time there were four of us, Myself, Skeleton Key, UrbanX and Mad Axe, a great explore rounded off with a nice pint!!!

IMG_9482.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

IMG_9426.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9441.jpg

The rooftop plant rooms

IMG_9465.jpg

IMG_9464.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

IMG_9455.jpg

IMG_9473.jpg

Building 2

IMG_9513.jpg

IMG_9536.jpg

IMG_9510.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9531.jpg

This is the Nortel Sports and Social Club, it's been reported on by several people on DP including me [ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=18046[/ame]
Now completely burnt out by the local chavs :(

IMG_9432.jpg

IMG_9537.jpg

Last edited:
Lol the 4 sillohuettes: the inbetweeners go urbexing!
Ace shots mate your patience with a tripod has paid off!

Very nice mate, interesting views but sometimes getting to those heights can be bloody Knackering :lol::lol:

The tripod paid off but my stupidity didn't, shot all my pics on ISO800 without realizing :(

Last edited:
love being up on the roof too.pity i didn't think of taking pictures of all the ones i've been on over the years.
time for an 'up on the roof ' section maybe :)

Hmmmmm, Pincheck, sounds like you may be of the same build as myself ;) I normally stop every 3 floors :mrgreen:

Its the really tall stuff where it takes 30 mins to get up there :lol::lol: not as young as i once was but i have stamina in bags:lol::lol: wist has how should i say expanded over the years :mrgreen:

But right in front of a Microwave dish :eek:

Hope it wasn't on or there'll be no descendants of UrbanX ;)

Lol, I stopped worrying about that when I spent double shifts with the Chernobyl workers!

Next year I'll probably be firing more blanks than the olympic starting pistol :p

I have never minded heights, spent years climbing the cliffs here in Cornwall, even did a Flying Angel off a cliff at Sennen, but standing on the edge of a roof! No I couldn’t do that, so I’ll tip me hat and urge you to seek psychiatric help.
Fine report and pics, I enjoyed it, Thanks.

Great splore

Have to say realy enjoyed going Here in the early hours and even more so going back later in the afternoon .
You guys literaly had me giggling from begining to end and realy made my day.
What can I say quality let’s do some more :)

Picture003.jpg

1111.jpg

Picture036.jpg

NORTEL031.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture050.jpg

NORTEL058.jpg

Picture009.jpg

NORTEL035.jpg

Picture023.jpg

NORTEL017.jpg

Thanks SK ;)

Well I'm not going out with you if you keep coming up with better shots than me :p

I'm in love with your portrait in #13, looks sooo much like a movie still! :mrgreen:

Epic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back