Worms Heath Igloo 2 H.A.A. Battery, Warlingham: Aug 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In 1946, following the end of WWII a review of anti-aircraft batteries code-named called 'Nucleus' was implemented to determine which would be retained and which would be disposed of.

Of the c.1000 H.A.A. batteries in use during WWII, just 210 were to be retained and re-equipped. By 1951 with the threat of nuclear war looming, Nucleus had developed into the IGLOO scheme. A total of 78 new HAA sites were initially proposed with permanently mounted guns at 54 sites.

Despite the claims of the NMR and Surrey HER, all of the remaining features at Worms Heath Battery are post-war, probably constructed in 1951 at the same time as Pendell Anti-Aicraft Operations Room (A.A.O.R.) near Merstham from which it was administered.

Unlike their WWII predecessors at other sites, the four octagonal 3.7" gun emplacements here are open on two sides and have just four ammo lockers each (WWII emplacements had six). Two reinforced rooms adjoin the wall on the outside of each emplacement; a small crew shelter and an engine room with a motor driving a hydraulic pump for training, elevation and the automatic ammunition loading machinery.

The layout is also slightly different to WW2 sites with the four emplacements laid out in a shallow arc. If there was ever a permanent command post and/or magazines, they have now been lost under the N.A.T.S. Tx Station standing to the north. It's possible that these facilities were housed in Nissen huts and so fared less well than other structures on site. The site connected by telephone line to the A.A.O.R. and a GPO termination point is still visible located in a wire-fenced compound to the eastern end of the concrete hardstanding.

WORMS.png

For more info on the post war H.A.A. sites see here.

The site was probably abandoned c.1960 (when Pendell also became redundant, later to become the the Met Police's southern war HQ), but for reasons of national security did not appear on any O.S. maps until the mid '60s. There's an earlier [ame="http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=9203"]report[/ame] on here from 2009, since when the battery has been cleaned up but has also lost all of the steel doors to the crew and plant rooms.

EDIT: Full report now online at: http://derelictmisc.org.uk/igloo.html

100_8958.jpg

1. One of the gun emplacements, complete with flat-pack shed.

100_8948.jpg

2. Crew shelter and ammo locker. The bolts visible probably supported shell racking.

100_8950.jpg

3. Holdfast/gun mounting. Note the conduit in the floor which carried a transmission shaft from the engine room.

100_8954.jpg

4. Switch with cable leading through wall to engine room

100_8956.jpg

5. Engine room being used as a wood store

100_8968.jpg

6. Inside another of the engine rooms, engine plinth and fusegear still in good condition. The channel to the left of the plinth is a continuation of the transmission shaft conduit seen in pic 3.

100_8969.jpg

7. Heavy-duty fuse boxes

100_8962.jpg

8. In another engine room the fuse box has been forced open

100_8963.jpg

9. Engine room lighting

100_8964.jpg

10. This pipe surfaced just outside one of the engine rooms. I'm guessing it might have carried a cable of some sort.

100_8952.jpg

11. This locked compound contained what I assume was a GPO telephone termination point used to connect the battery to the A.A.O.R. It might also have had a later use judging by the relatively well-maintained fence.

100_8947.jpg

12. The westernmost emplacement looking towards the N.A.T.S. Site.

A radio station was later built to the north of the battery, identified on signs as 'Warlingham TX Comms Station.' administered by National Air Traffic Services. This is very secure to say the least, with CCTV on every corner of the compound, big siren sounders and an electric fence. Interestingly enough a google search turns up precisely nothing. I presume it's something to do with ATC but if anyone knows what it's for, I'd be interested to hear.

100_8943.jpg

N.A.T.S. Station

100_8972.jpg

Sign on fence

100_8973.jpg

Watching the watcher

Thanks for reading,

A.

Last edited:
That is fascinating (and also means I've just made a bit of a balls up by asking CptPies to put it on the DOB overlay as a WW2 HAA battery!). The NATS compound is a bit of a conundrum, especially as there is a fairly substantial one less than a mile away (You would assume that one would do the job). Can I ask where you got your gen. from on this? I had just checked the Surrey HER database (there was nothing on Sub Brit at the time) and assumed that it was legit - which just goes to show you can't always trust official government sources! It may also be of interest that this is a spit from Botley Hill farm, which was a not insignificant cold war site in its own right.
Thanks again!
GDZ
PS Are you aware of the status of the Pendell site at the moment?

Last edited:
Mostly it's detective work. I was first alerted to the possibility that this was an IGLOO site by Cybergibbons' set on flickr ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergibbons/sets/72157600000218751/ ) I wasn't too sure at first but I did some digging and found this: http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/p/penketh_haa/index.html
Once I knew the characteristics of Igloo sites, it became obvious that this wasn't WWII and conformed almost exactly to the profile of an Igloo 2 site.

It's possible that there was a mobile battery or somesuch here during the war, but I've not found any evidence to support this and there's no evidence of anything here on the 1945 layer on Google Earth, whereas most batteries are discernible albeit very blurred. The NMR does mention possible WWII barrage balloon blocks, but I couldn't find them.

As for Botley Hill Farm, I did a quick recce on the same day and found that the mast has been removed, there's really very little left there now:

100_8975.jpg

I'm not sure of the state of Pendell. I did go there a couple of months back but didn't much feel like seeing if the signs warning of dogs running free were true or not. It was apparently accessible for a while back in 2004-5 (no-one seems to have any pics though) but I'm told it's now been stripped out and is used for secure storage.

The mast at Botley Hill went about 12 months ago. I have some photos somewhere of the site pre-this point (have been meaning to get them up for ages, but you know how it is....) I only ask because I wonder if there is any connection between Igloo sites and other cold war sites. For example, would there have been one of these at Coldblow Lane, or at Swingate? Just conjecture....
GDZ

Latest posts

Back