Raf Acklington the last 2 pillboxes

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
I finally got the last 2 pillboxes at RAF Acklington done today after doing the other 2 just over a year ago [ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=18068[/ame] and the VHF site 8 months ago [ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=19674[/ame]. The problem was these 2 are on very private land behind the prison and I couldn't find who I needed to speak to. Anyway today was the day got them both done so I can now draw a line under this one and say I've done it...

First one is the same as the last 2 a type 22 with a LAA emplacement on the top

DSCF6973.jpg

DSCF6974.jpg

DSCF6975.jpg

DSCF6972.jpg

DSCF6968.jpg

DSCF6969.jpg

this is what all the discussion was about in the last thread...the mount

DSCF6970.jpg

DSCF6971.jpg

internals

DSCF6980.jpg

DSCF6979.jpg

note the bolts from the gun mount hanging down

DSCF6978.jpg

DSCF6977.jpg

And the other pillbox was a type 22 but a standard type this time

DSCF6957.jpg

DSCF6958.jpg

DSCF6959.jpg

DSCF6960.jpg

DSCF6961.jpg

internals

DSCF6963.jpg

DSCF6964.jpg

DSCF6966.jpg

Turnbull mounts

DSCF6965.jpg

Then as I was leaving I spotted this... any ideas

DSCF6982.jpg

DSCF6983.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers Jon

Nicely done mate the standard one is starting to look a bit weather beaten.Whats the big lump of concrete at the bottom of the steps ?

Nicely done mate the standard one is starting to look a bit weather beaten.Whats the big lump of concrete at the bottom of the steps ?

yeah mate it's in the corner of a field on a raised up mound of earth and I think this is subsiding a bit, the lump of concrete is the base of a fence post mate there were loads of them in the hedge row

Last edited:
Good work there, your patience was rewarded with a very impressive pair, do like the one with the LAA on top. :)

Nice catch up work jon, thanks. :)

IIRC, we ended up believing it possible that the mounting was for a 20mm AA canon? The whole upper section looks like an afterthought add on/modification.

yeah the top was definately added at a later date and the other 22 is a pre 1941 model with the turnbull mounts added later judging by the embrasure size as the mounts are smaller than the hole

the top was definately added at a later date

I'm not sure about that Jonney, the extended roof slab looks to be a single pour and the repositioned pistol port must have been designed knowing that the large blast wall supporting the steps would cover the entrance. That all suggests the AA position and steps up to it were part of the original structure as it was planned.

Back