Hales Heckingham workhouse, 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones out

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score

Hales Hospital was originally the Heckingham Workhouse built in 1765, and could house up to 400 inmates.

Extensions and alterations were carried out in the autumn of 1835, in accordance with the requirements for classification and segregation under the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act.

The workhouse was closed in 1927 and converted into an institution for "mental defectives". Control passed to the Norfolk County Council in the 1930's and the building was renamed Heckingham Institution. After the creation of the National Heatlth Service, the institution became part of the NHS and renamed again, this time as Hales Hospital. The hospital closed closed around 1990.

There are plans for redevelopment.........

Lifted most info from
www.neilfellowes.co.uk

This belongs in the pit, I'm having a HDD clear out, and I cant put it directly in but someone may find it interesting perhaps......... :neutral:

I drove past this recently and nothing has changed.

DPP_0283.png

Main Gate

DPP_0280.png

DPP_0265.png

DPP_0255-1.png

Boiler House

DPP_0259.png

Small basement area, lots of nooks and crannies down there

DPP_0262.png

Typical trashed corridor. the whole inside has been wrecked.

DPP_0261.png

DPP_0267.png

Entry to lift equipment

DPP_0268.png

lift gear

DPP_0266.png

A bit of attic, funny how the attic has not been trashed?

DPP_0284.png

from the water tower

As you do.​

Last edited:
Nice one! Nice to see recent shots of the place: when I went, I pulled into the site to find a load of travellers living here, so decided to give it a miss.

Nice one! Nice to see recent shots of the place: when I went, I pulled into the site to find a load of travellers living here, so decided to give it a miss.

Yes my friend, with barky dogs!

They were around the side, the bit to avoid :)

I think a couple park / live there permanant.

Latest posts

Back