Bovingdon Airfield Control Tower

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectzip

Reaction score
Hi there long time lurker first time posting.
This post is about a now disused airfield in Bovingdon.
Its not an easy site to get onto as the control tower now has a prison about 10 feet away from it.
The runways are now used for saturday market and motorcycle training.
There is also a banger racing track on site.
I managed to sneak in here one late Saturday evening.
My love for this place stems from a film featuring David Essex “Silver Dream Racer”
In the film if you haven’t seen it Nick Freeman (Essex) is given his brothers custom one off prototype race bike and the film goes on.

In one of the near to end montage scenes Nick decides to go off training with his girl friend Julie and they end up at this disused airfield. It took me a little while to figure where it was with the help of a control towers website I soon located it and was on my way.
Here is my goal (1950s)
Bovingdon_1950a.jpg

Bovingdon_1950b.jpg

So here we are approaching the building.
DSCF0827.jpg

DSCF0828.jpg

1978ish
SDRBOV1.jpg

Here we see the only way in as the tower is surrounded by a large mud bank.
In the film the bush on the right hand side was where nick and Julie enter the tower.
Today
DSCF0802.jpg

1978ish
SDRBOV2.jpg

This is the area where Nick and his Julie are standing in the film you can see the floor has now given way and there’s nothing left of it.
Today
DSCF0810.jpg

1978ish
SDRBOV4.jpg

Picture from ground floor
DSCF0804.jpg

And out on the balcony from the rooftop
DSCF0815.jpg

There you can see the remains of the top of the tower which collapsed in the 80s
Where the tower stood.
DSCF0814.jpg

Nick and Julie on the balcony eating
SDRBOV5.jpg

Other roof structure and storage
DSCF0816.jpg

Ground floor frontage now collapsed in with mud
DSCF0806.jpg

DSCF0807.jpg

David Essex may have pee’d here during filming
DSCF0809.jpg

So there you have it once a film set now reduced to a shell.
Heres a bit more info taken from control towers website.

Originally built as an R.A.F. Bomber Station.
8/42 to 1/43, 325th, 326th, 327th and 407th Bombardment Squadrons of the 92nd Bombardment Group (Heavy) 'Fames Favored Few' with B-17 Flying Fortress, moved to Alconbury.
4/43 to 4/46 transferred to USAAF Command, became a B-17 operational training base, B-17 Combat Crew Replacement Centre (CCRC), 11th CCRC, and 8th USAAF HQ Squadron.
Several film stars served here including Clark Gable, James Stewart and William Holden. Among famous wartime visitors were Bob Hope, Frances Langford, Mrs Eleanor Roosevelt, General Eisenhower and Glenn Miller.
04/46 to 05/51 RAF resumed control.
05/51 to 1962, the USAF took over with B-26, B-29 and B-50's.
'The War Lover', '633 Squadron', 'Mosquito Squadron' and 'Hannover Street' were filmed here in the along with several TV episodes of 'The Avengers' and 'Blakes 7'. The USAF left in 1962, flying ceased 1969 and all MOD property was sold off by 1976.

JB

Gordon Bennett! It's had a hard life eh? It's a real shame (and quite a shock) when you see how buildings once were. You've given me a possible lead up here in Northumberland now. Thanks for posting. :)

Gordon Bennett! It's had a hard life eh? It's a real shame (and quite a shock) when you see how buildings once were. You've given me a possible lead up here in Northumberland now. Thanks for posting. :)

Thanks for your comments ive waited an age to post this up but no response on that "other" site i was a member off for so long.
Theres loss DP's gain!
Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Heres another reason why im so in love with this film, my own scooter themed after the bike in this film.

silverdream1.jpg

Thanks for your comments ive waited an age to post this up but no response on that "other" site i was a member off for so long.
Theres loss DP's gain!
Thank you for making me feel welcome.

This is a really good forum. I've never looked back since leaving that other one. :)

Thats a brilllaint posting mate...really like yer 'then and now' theme to it !!!
And that's just about one of the roughest control towers I've seen....any rougher and it'd be a pile of rubble.....:)
Some good old films were shot there too then?...
'The War Lover' with Steve McQueen was a great film...............:)

That is so sad to see it in that 'orrible state now. :( Great to see the film stills along with your own pics. Very nice report, projectzip, and welcome to DP, btw. :)

I really like this post, good effort. I love seeing stuff in the 70s for some reason, I think because that was when I first got "into" dereliction.

Seeing Bovingdon actually makes me really sad, thinking back to how tidy it was on 633 Squadron. A criminal waste, burying it with a landfill site.

nice report fella!!!not far from me either,ive been to the market loads and did nt even know it was there!!!i I agree about the "other site"too, bit elitist i thought!!!!
keep up the good work!!!!!!

Interesting news.
More filming has taken place at Bovingdon for an upcoming independent film called Ten Dead Men!

Nice Pics. I Haven't been to the Bovingdon market for a few years now, may have to take the trip just to check this out, saw the tower in the corner of the field once, didnt realize what it was. If anyone watches chop shop the test drives are done at Bovingdon.

hi

hi people i take it you are talking about bovingdon near watford which was home of bovingdon raceway i used to go racing there untill the end of this year because they closed the track due to market might go on there but i been going here for 10 years and aint seen the tower can any one update me if it still there and where on bovingdon ???

Latest posts

Back