50 Million Almargem Water Resort That Never Quite Made It...

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_a_t_33

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Back in September, while exploring Portugal, as one of my birthday suprises, on a rainy afternoon, my girlfriend lined up a visit to this incredible place right in the centre of the country...

Apparently around 25 million euro has already been invested... And for anyone with an extra €26,000,000.00 to spare, the project is available here: Almargem Water Resort - 3.0 Business

There is still a basic website live for the project, dating back 10yrs to 2014 with pictures of how the finished project will look: Complexo Turístico do Almargem
Perhaps they still have hopes of finishing this beast of a project. Looking at the state of the place, I think it's chances are getting slimmer and slimmer...

Let's explore...

Almargem Water Park 1.jpg

Entering via the car park...

Almargem Water Park 2.jpg

Across the bridge that goes over a cute river

Almargem Water Park 3.jpg

Fibreglass pirate ship dominates the internals

Almargem Water Park 4.jpg

Almargem Water Park 5.jpg

Almargem Water Park 6.jpg

Almargem Water Park 7.jpg

Almargem Water Park 8.jpg

Almargem Water Park 9.jpg

Water slide finishing pool

Almargem Water Park 10.jpg

Almargem Water Park 11.jpg
Almargem Water Park 11.jpg

Almargem Water Park 12.jpg

Almargem Water Park 13.jpg

Almargem Water Park 14.jpg

Into the childrens area...

Almargem Water Park 15.jpg

Almargem Water Park 16.jpg

Almargem Water Park 17.jpg

Almargem Water Park 18.jpg

Almargem Water Park 19.jpg

Almargem Water Park 20.jpg

Something a little fishy about this place you know...

Almargem Water Park 21.jpg

My dog trying out the slide

Almargem Water Park 22.jpg

She wasn't up for trying this one...

Almargem Water Park 23.jpg

Venturing upstairs

Almargem Water Park 24.jpg

Almargem Water Park 25.jpg

Almargem Water Park 26.jpg

Almargem Water Park 32.jpg

Almargem Water Park 27.jpg

Almargem Water Park 28.jpg

Pay attention to the coloured lines on this slide, you'll see why shortly...

Almargem Water Park 29.jpg

Almargem Water Park 30.jpg

Almargem Water Park 31.jpg

Almargem Water Park 33.jpg

Remember those coloured stripes on the outside of the slide?

Almargem Water Park 34.jpg

Almargem Water Park 35.jpg

Almargem Water Park 36.jpg

Almargem Water Park 37.jpg

Almargem Water Park 38.jpg

Almargem Water Park 39.jpg

Almargem Water Park 40.jpg

Almargem Water Park 41.jpg

Almargem Water Park 42.jpg

Almargem Water Park 43.jpg

Almargem Water Park 44.jpg

Almargem Water Park 45.jpg

Almargem Water Park 46.jpg

Kinda creepy...

Almargem Water Park 47.jpg

One last stroll past before leaving

Almargem Water Park 48.jpg

Almargem Water Park 49.jpg

Almargem Water Park 50.jpg

Whatever will come of this place? Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
That's a great shame it ended up like that, can't see any money being poured into the place now, more like it will be torn down, The cost of finishing it would be more then building a new one

Just what are the planning laws in Portugal? From the photos, the place has been carved out of a wooded area close to a small town. Where would the customers have come from? Imagine building such a place in the Lake District!

Just what are the planning laws in Portugal? From the photos, the place has been carved out of a wooded area close to a small town. Where would the customers have come from? Imagine building such a place in the Lake District!
I have similar questions... Seems like planning laws are probably not so disimilar to Spain as, like Spain, there are also many half-built houses and developments in Portugal.

Tis certainly an odd location choice for such a resort. No where near beaches, cities or the Algarve...

I have similar questions... Seems like planning laws are probably not so disimilar to Spain as, like Spain, there are also many half-built houses and developments in Portugal.

Tis certainly an odd location choice for such a resort. No where near beaches, cities or the Algarve...
When I visited the Greek islands in the 1980s and 1990s, there would be many
partly-built houses in the small towns and villages. Usually the ground floor had been constructed, including the concrete slab that acted as the ceiling for the ground floor and the floor for the next level. There would be the reinforcing rods for the upper walls poking out and pointing skywards. It was something to do with planning and building regs. Once construction had been started,
there was no limit on when it was completed. Often the money for building the property came from Greeks living overseas, sending it back in dribs and drabs.

Back