A Young Mans Dream - Mr Revill - Aircrafts - December 2016 - Visited With Permission.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly all the present owner has done is prolonged the inevitable journey to the scrap furnaces, they were in a pretty dire state internally when the owner got them via tender sales and disposal auctions. Aircraft need storing under cover, but not only that, the internals need proper inhibition otherwise everything just rots out. Mixes of alloy and steel assemblies are difficult to protect from electrolytic corrosion. In the 80's and early 90's I saw three larger and far more interesting collections reduced to spares and scrap, because all the airframes were just parked up on a bits of hardstanding, with no thought given to weather protection. Many years ago a good friend had an aerial crop spraying business and decided that a D H Tiger Moth would be useful company transport and purchased one quite cheaply! Well why not? So four of us formed a flying/maintenance syndicate and had nearly six years of fun between the crop spraying sessions - until the cash ran out! One day whilst flying back from the old RAF Wickenby airfield area, we spied what looked like a typical aircraft breakers site. Enquires on landing intimated that the aircraft were a memorial to pilot killed in a RAF jet crash and it had been put together by the pilot's father. We all deal with grief in our own way; but in my eyes the collection of rotting airframes was no memorial for a lost son - it was more a hideous reminder of the crash scene! The reason for keeping a nicely restored and hangared example of his aircraft is easily understood by anybody, what looks like a field of scrap take a bit of getting ones head around and sadly it all ended in acrimony, as eventually various 'bodies' insisted the area be returned to 'nature'.

Sadly all the present owner has done is prolonged the inevitable journey to the scrap furnaces, they were in a pretty dire state internally when the owner got them via tender sales and disposal auctions. Aircraft need storing under cover, but not only that, the internals need proper inhibition otherwise everything just rots out. Mixes of alloy and steel assemblies are difficult to protect from electrolytic corrosion. In the 80's and early 90's I saw three larger and far more interesting collections reduced to spares and scrap, because all the airframes were just parked up on a bits of hardstanding, with no thought given to weather protection. Many years ago a good friend had an aerial crop spraying business and decided that a D H Tiger Moth would be useful company transport and purchased one quite cheaply! Well why not? So four of us formed a flying/maintenance syndicate and had nearly six years of fun between the crop spraying sessions - until the cash ran out! One day whilst flying back from the old RAF Wickenby airfield area, we spied what looked like a typical aircraft breakers site. Enquires on landing intimated that the aircraft were a memorial to pilot killed in a RAF jet crash and it had been put together by the pilot's father. We all deal with grief in our own way; but in my eyes the collection of rotting airframes was no memorial for a lost son - it was more a hideous reminder of the crash scene! The reason for keeping a nicely restored and hangared example of his aircraft is easily understood by anybody, what looks like a field of scrap take a bit of getting ones head around and sadly it all ended in acrimony, as eventually various 'bodies' insisted the area be returned to 'nature'.

As always your knowledge and insight is welcome and I also believe he has done nothing more but prolonged a journey to the scrap yards, but him holding these pieces of history has given me and many others an insight and in doing this hobby we have seen them let alone walking around and in fact sitting inside, he had always wanted to own one and why not I guess?1?! :D

I really do love your insight and information given in reports, an yes we do all grieve in ways which makes it easier, so I can understand both sides of a coin in conjunction to your story, again thank you! :) its always welcome on my reports!

Back