Exploring The Flues, Tailrace & Remains Of The Derwent Lead Smelt Mills

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In this video, we explore the surface and underground remains of the Derwent lead mine smelt mills which were constructed in the early 180s. Although little remains on the surface, there are some interesting remains including the furnace, a waterwheel pit and the surface flues. Underground, we explore the remains of the tailrace and the flues in the lower part of the valley. We also explain how children were employed at the site and how their labours caused them extreme suffering and early death.

A nice gentle little explore with no hype, very relaxing to watch.
How true! Compare the simple informative commentary with those heard on certain
TV series filled with artificial drama. And very good video shots, despite the difficult
locations.

Two things that struck me were the curves in some of the tunnels - they had to have been carefully surveyed and constructed; and the deliberate blocking off with walls of rock laid almost as neatly as were the tunnel walls. Why the blocking off?

The contrast between the round tunnels and where the roof was flat and made up of thin vertically placed stones with no real keying was very obvious. The chances of collapse seem great. It takes a brave explorer to advance beneath such roofs.

Where there was earth blocking tunnels - was that caused naturally? That the earth
tapered down suggests gradual washing in of material.

Well done. A good record of these tunnels.

How true! Compare the simple informative commentary with those heard on certain
TV series filled with artificial drama. And very good video shots, despite the difficult
locations.

Two things that struck me were the curves in some of the tunnels - they had to have been carefully surveyed and constructed; and the deliberate blocking off with walls of rock laid almost as neatly as were the tunnel walls. Why the blocking off?

The contrast between the round tunnels and where the roof was flat and made up of thin vertically placed stones with no real keying was very obvious. The chances of collapse seem great. It takes a brave explorer to advance beneath such roofs.

Where there was earth blocking tunnels - was that caused naturally? That the earth
tapered down suggests gradual washing in of material.

Well done. A good record of these tunnels.
Thanks, yes, we are there to look at these places, not make a drama program. The walls of rock blocking are not original and were not there last time we were there, there was possibly a collapse there so I suspect that's been put up to stop the collapse spreading further. The flat part, I suspect was originally curved, looks like the sides have slipped in causing the top part of the arch to go like that, that's why I was very uncomfortable in there as I knew there was not much strength left in that flue ceiling. The blocks look like a collapse followed by natural infill, must be pretty old as no sign of them on the surface.

Glad you enjoyed.

Thanks, yes, we are there to look at these places, not make a drama program. The walls of rock blocking are not original and were not there last time we were there, there was possibly a collapse there so I suspect that's been put up to stop the collapse spreading further. The flat part, I suspect was originally curved, looks like the sides have slipped in causing the top part of the arch to go like that, that's why I was very uncomfortable in there as I knew there was not much strength left in that flue ceiling. The blocks look like a collapse followed by natural infill, must be pretty old as no sign of them on the surface.

Glad you enjoyed.
Thanks for your further info. That the properly laid walls blocking the tunnels are recent suggests a chance of re-opening the workings if financially worthwhile. Looking again at the video, I see what you mean about the flat roof section. There is a variety in the 'roundness' in the various tunnels. I also see that there are quite a few large rocks where external debris has been washed down into some of the tunnels, creating a sloping top to the debris. Probably over many decades if there is now little sign of anything on the surface. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back