Glenmorag Hotel Dunoon - almost too late.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roderick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't normally post the places I visit because BikinGlynn has usually been there
before me and taken much better pics than I ever could, however Glynn missed this
one (or perhaps just hasn't posted it yet). Nobody else will get there now so I've
posted rather a lot of pics as possibly the only record of it's demise (sorry it's not the most photogenic building).
I visit Dunoon from time to time and I've had a couple of goes at this place but security has always
confounded me. However, a couple of weeks ago I was there and noticed
demolition had started and apparently security was down to one man so during a lull I
slipped in, annoyingly they had already destroyed the bit with the tower, reception and
the staircase which complicated things a bit.
glen1.jpg

In a better vanished time the people of Glasgow and surroundings would catch the
train to amazing Wemyss Bay Station (Well worth a visit today if you are in the area) and
transfer to the ferry to take them over the estuary to Dunoon. This hotel, with lovely
views overlooking Dunoon’s West Bay covering an area of 15,414 sq ft was built in 1934,
for many years it was a major feature of social life in the town. It had 74 bedrooms,
big-name cabaret evenings and dances in the impressive ‘Pride of the Clyde’
ballroom were common. It hosted many special events even including a naturist
weekend with a naked disco! However with the local tourism decline the hotel was
obliged to look to the coach party market which in turn was badly impacted by the
lock-downs – leading to closure of the group (Hart Hotels) in mid 2020. It still has a
facebook page with lots of info about its past life if anybody is interested.
The battery in my camera went flat after the first picture so the rest are taken with my phone.

The entrance has a nice little gatehouse which despite the holes in the roof was the only part of the site with electricity
glen2.jpg

glen2a.jpg

Inside the gate house could be tidier
glen4.jpg
glen5.jpg
glen6.jpg
glen7.jpg

The main frontage
glen8.jpg
looks good

Reception, boiler room etc
glen9.jpg
glen10.jpg

‘Pride of the Clyde then and now
glenmorag2.jpg
glen13.jpg

Ballroom Bar
glen11.jpg
glen14a.jpg

glen15.jpg
glen16.jpg

Brass from taps brings in £40+ per bucket full so most of the sinks looked like this.

glen17.jpg

This bedroom on the first floor was typical, only the view changed from room to room.
glen20.jpg
glen18.jpg
glen19.jpg

First floor landing shows steel framing
glen21.jpg
glen22.jpg

View of reception from first floor
glen23.jpg

Up to the second floor landing, rooms and views similar to 1st floor
glen25.jpg
glen24.jpg

Second floor bedroom
glen26.jpg

The third floor was still fairly intact.
glen27.jpg
glen28.jpg

Until you reach the end
glen29.jpg

The other end is better
glen30.jpg
glen32.jpg

Shortly after I sneaked back out in a steady Scottish drizzle the destruction resumed. The view from the town will never be quite the same again.

glen36.jpg
glen37.jpg
glen38.jpg

Attachments

• glen3.jpg
    glen3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 40
  • glen31.jpg
    glen31.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 39
  • glen33.jpg
    glen33.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 41
  • glen34.jpg
    glen34.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 41
  • glen35.jpg
    glen35.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 40
Nicely done. U are pretty safe with that one Iv only ever made it just North of Glasgow, well out my area Im afraid lol

Thank you for sharing your adventure at the Glenmorag Hotel in Dunoon, Roderick! It's always fascinating to see places through the lens of fellow explorers. It's a bit of a bittersweet feeling knowing that such a historic building is meeting its end, but your photos provide a glimpse into its past.
Speaking of travel, if you ever contemplate venturing beyond the UK, exploring different countries and cultures can be an enriching experience. However, it's important to stay informed about safety, especially when traveling abroad. For example, you might want ...
I'm curious why you randomly picked Mexico to warn me about, though it is one place I've never visited. I did quite a bit of work around europe when I was younger and I have been to Hungary several times (- some particularly interesting abandoned railway stuff there) and many places in the Far East too though as I get older it gets harder to get in places.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious why you randomly picked Mexico to warn me about, though it is one place I've never visited. I did quite a bit of work around europe when I was younger and I have been to Hungary several times (- some particularly interesting abandoned railway stuff there) and many places in the Far East too though as I get older it gets harder to get in places.

have deleted comment as potential spam

It's fascinating to read about your recent visit to the Glenmorag Hotel in Dunoon and the unique experience you had exploring it. Your dedication to documenting its demise, especially with the security challenges you faced, truly highlights your passion for urban exploration. Even though the building may not have been the most photogenic, your photos serve as an important record of its history.

It's fascinating to read about your recent visit to the Glenmorag Hotel in Dunoon and the unique experience you had exploring it. Your dedication to documenting its demise, especially with the security challenges you faced, truly highlights your passion for urban exploration. Even though the building may not have been the most photogenic, your photos serve as an important record of its history.
Thanks very much, I'm not in the same league as many on here but I do enjoy the atmosphere of a deserted building and the clues to lost stories they often hold.

Back