Guyhirn Chapel Of Ease - March 2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeachedwattle

Reaction score
Although not derelict in the true sense of the word, I see other reports of Churches under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust appearing on the site, so thought I would share this one. Hopefully, those of you with an ecclesiastical interest will appreciate?

A tiny building, consisting of just one single room, constructed of brick and stone in 1660, the Puritan origins of this Church are evident throughout. From the simple, external adornment of the bell tower, to the still, in situ weathered oak pews. The overall effect had me thinking, that I had almost stepped back in time, to the 17th Century...

Following the Restoration, the Chapel was adopted by the Vicar of Wisbech St. Peter until 1854, when Wisbech St. Mary was created a separate parish. The area around the Chapel was consecrated as a burial ground by the Bishop of Ely in 1840. In 1871 the Chapel moved into the newly created parish of "Guyhirn with Rings End". It was then used for services until the new church of St. Mary Magdelene was built in the village in 1878. From then onwards the Chapel was rarely used and functioned as a mortuary chapel.

By 1960 the building had become derelict and unsafe, and the last service was held in November that year. Due mainly to the initiative of then Vicar of Guyhirn, Reverend Donald Dickinson, 1971 saw the rebirth of the Chapel. The Redundant Churches Fund was approached and the church restored. In July 1975 the chapel was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Ely.

In 1973 the "Friends of the Guyhirn Chapel of Ease" was formed under the presidency of Sir John Betjeman, the Poet Laureate, who on his death was succeeded by well-known author Edward Storey. The Chapel is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.

Anyways... on with the photos.

Exterior Front by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

The Bell by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Door by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Bell Rope by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Pulpit From Pews by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Pew Side On by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Window seat by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Lectern by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

From the Pulpit by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Coat Hooks by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr

Ceiling Decor by thebeachedwattle, on Flickr