Hotel Eremo, Naples, Italy, August 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
Located on the south-westerly slope of Italy's infamous Vesuvius volcano, the Hotel Eremo was built in 1902 by John Mason Cook, who also designed the railway that connected Naples with Vesuvius. Before the hotel was built, in the late 1800's, a hermit lived in a shack that leaned on to the neighbouring Church of the Saviour. He would make and sell omelettes to passing travellers. In Italian, hermits are known as eremite, which may explain the naming of the hotel.

Old postcard of the hotel in better days:

And an old drawing showing the railway up to the hotel:

The hotel some 400 or so metres up the side of the volcano survived the 1908 eruptions. With its sweeping views of the entire Golf of Naples, it featured 32 rooms which went for 20 Lira per night. The 1944 eruption of Vesuvius severely damaged the railway which was the main access to the hotel which caused access problems. The hotel then underwent several changes of ownership. The final owner, Commendatore Mario Paudice, refused to sell up and it gradually fell into disrepair and led to its current state of abandonment.

2. The Explore
Seen this place on-line so when I found myself on the road up to Vesuvius, though it was rude not to pop in. Stupidly I chose to battle through the overgrown drive and got cut to pieces by the undergrowth, when I could have just continued up the road and turned left! Not too much to say about the place. It’s been trashed and graffed. There’s no way back for it to be honest. The best things about it are the original hotel gates, the Jesus statue that now looms out of the undergrowth and the views from the hotel.

3. The Pictures

The original gates still remain:

After negotiating the overgrown drive, the hotel looms up to the left from the undergrowth:

The out pops Jesus from the bushes:

The newer concrete viewing balcony:

And looking back up at the hotel:

The lower ground floor:

On to the main ground floor:

The ground floor is pretty trashed and bare:

Doorway after doorway:

This lounge room would have been very grand back in the day:

Up a floor to the bedroom area:

And more trashed, bare and graffed spaces:

Quick pop out onto the balcony:

Some of the hotel’s former out-buildings:

And back down to the ground floor and out:

That’s all folks!

Wow you do wonder what got into the guy not to sell the place it could have need a great place. I have been to Naples a couple of times but never had access to a car and it was with work.
Nicley captured

Back