House on the Hill

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priority 7

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A day I had planned for a few weeks now, with a fellow explorer who I hadn't seen in an age and a non-forum member who was front and centre on our Italian trip. The plan was simple stay part way up on route to break the driving a little. Sadly a term I have used in the past and UrbanX has heard on many occasion "I was Butlered", but I wasn't Butlered once I was Butlered 4 times in less than a day.

Butlered 1 - Sorry mate been delayed so won't make it to you until late.
Butlered 2 - Just got back to get my gear and thinking I will get my head down and meet your early doors at the hotel.
Butlered 3 - Ahh F*** mate sorry I have only just get up I'll meet you at the first site.
Butlered 4 - Not gonna make it mate everything is going off and I need to be up early tomorrow for an early day at work.

Needlesss to say I had given up after Butlered 2 but still it provides an insight into being Butlered, most famously UrbanX, myself and another non-forum member were Butlered when we went to Berlin, not before we took off, no they phoned us whilst we were waiting for him in arrivals at Berlin Airport.

Anyway enough of that, on with the explore. I had seen this site pop up numerous times on Fb and really wanted to see it, I don't have a lot of history and that probably best for these little time capsules. Perched high on a slope in a windswept part of our fine isle lays an old farmers cottage, and judging by the items in there it was most likely a diary farm.
We pitched up at a spot we had decided was ideal as the two ways to the place were either a tough slog up a steep slope, or drive past the current farmers house and announce ourselves. Slope walk it was and boy was it a tough one, but it was certainly worth it.
The outside of the cottage is very non descript and looking at it you would have been forgiven for thinking its a pointless trip to an empty shell. Poke your head in the door and you are pleasantly surprised. Anyway on with the photos I hope you enjoy.

MMH001.jpg

MMH003.jpg

MMH004.jpg

MMH007.jpg

MMH011.jpg

MMH013.jpg

MMH018.jpg

MMH019.jpg

MMH021.jpg

MMH028.jpg

MMH029.jpg

MMH031.jpg

The quadruple butlering jilting!
Glad that you made it just in time to take some awesome photos!
Fantastic, thanks for sharing :)

The very pre-Aga cooking range had me thinking of a similar one in my parents' 1880 house in Devon. I'm wondering who the two soldiers in the photo were. The webbing belts look typical WWII and after belts, perhaps with green khaki blanco - the shade I used in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

A day I had planned for a few weeks now, with a fellow explorer who I hadn't seen in an age and a non-forum member who was front and centre on our Italian trip. The plan was simple stay part way up on route to break the driving a little. Sadly a term I have used in the past and UrbanX has heard on many occasion "I was Butlered", but I wasn't Butlered once I was Butlered 4 times in less than a day.

Butlered 1 - Sorry mate been delayed so won't make it to you until late.
Butlered 2 - Just got back to get my gear and thinking I will get my head down and meet your early doors at the hotel.
Butlered 3 - Ahh F*** mate sorry I have only just get up I'll meet you at the first site.
Butlered 4 - Not gonna make it mate everything is going off and I need to be up early tomorrow for an early day at work.

Needlesss to say I had given up after Butlered 2 but still it provides an insight into being Butlered, most famously UrbanX, myself and another non-forum member were Butlered when we went to Berlin, not before we took off, no they phoned us whilst we were waiting for him in arrivals at Berlin Airport.

Anyway enough of that, on with the explore. I had seen this site pop up numerous times on Fb and really wanted to see it, I don't have a lot of history and that probably best for these little time capsules. Perched high on a slope in a windswept part of our fine isle lays an old farmers cottage, and judging by the items in there it was most likely a diary farm.
We pitched up at a spot we had decided was ideal as the two ways to the place were either a tough slog up a steep slope, or drive past the current farmers house and announce ourselves. Slope walk it was and boy was it a tough one, but it was certainly worth it.
The outside of the cottage is very non descript and looking at it you would have been forgiven for thinking its a pointless trip to an empty shell. Poke your head in the door and you are pleasantly surprised. Anyway on with the photos I hope you enjoy.

View attachment 523097

View attachment 523098

View attachment 523099

View attachment 523100

View attachment 523101

View attachment 523102

View attachment 523103

View attachment 523104

View attachment 523105

View attachment 523106

View attachment 523107

View attachment 523108
Omg. Message me I just love these ones. And it’s great it’s not trashed. I hate it whe. Everyone trashes them. It’s not on !!

Omg. Message me I just love these ones. And it’s great it’s not trashed. I hate it whe. Everyone trashes them. It’s not on !!

there is plenty about like this they just take time & effort to find.
Its unlikely people will give locations to new members, post a few reports up to get recognition & trust & people may be more forthcoming.

Actually these excellent photos made me really sad. Did no-one want any of these personal objects, particularly the photographs of the soldiers? I'd love to know the history of the lives lived in this place. Or am I just being ridiculously sentimental?!
no, I don't think you are being sentimental, I thought the same about the photo of the soldiers.

Actually these excellent photos made me really sad. Did no-one want any of these personal objects, particularly the photographs of the soldiers? I'd love to know the history of the lives lived in this place. Or am I just being ridiculously sentimental?!

Iv seen dozens like this but it still amazes me what people dont seem to care about Home Guard House - Oct 21

It's all too common sadly. There were WW1 medals together with a soldier's service record and a diary (it was illegal for ordinary soldiers to keep a diary in WW1!) found recently by someone I know. Turns out the soldier in question joined up under age, survived the hell of one particularly bad day during Passchendaele, when a huge proportion of his regiment was wiped out, and then he was transferred to the same unit as my great uncle. Small world... and it's full of history which is simply left to rot in far too many cases.

Last edited:
It's all too common sadly. There were WW1 medals together with a soldier's service record and a diary (it was illegal for ordinary soldiers to keep a diary in WW1!) found recently by someone I know. Turns out the soldier in question joined up under age, survived the hell of one particularly bad day during Passchendaele, when a huge proportion of his regiment was wiped out, and then he was transferred to the same unit as my great uncle. Small world... and it's full of history which is simply left to rot in far too many cases.
A tricky choice over such things as diaries. Over the years I have 'saved' various railway relics from being melted down. They are now in heritage railway museums. Someone said, "When a person dies, a library burns." When the contents of a derelict house are left to rot . . .

Back