Kolmanskop, N A M I B I A.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49155

Reaction score
A few years ago during the winter of 2020 I spent 4 months driving and exploring around Namibia. It was the height of the covid pandemic, and it seemed a good place to hide out, as Namibia has 2.5 million inhabitants, is 4 times the size of Germany, and when Europes covid deaths were rocketting into the 100's of thousands, Namibia had around 400 total fatalities.

I drove around 12,000 miles (6000 off road) in a rented 1.2 VW Polo, and had many adventures up and down the country, met with some amazing people and took over 9000 photos. I thought I would share a few relevant to this forum, in particular a ghost town around 10 miles from a coastal town called Luderitz, called Kolmnaskop.

Kolmanskop was a former German built diamond mining station set up in around 1910 after some stones were discovered there. The place had residential housing, a school, a hospital, even a theatre all built in the desert, surrounded by sand and wind and rocks, and not much else but the lure of wealth beyond imagination.

I often wonder what it must have been like for lower / middle class Germans from say Bremen or Hamburg at the turn of the 20th century to have landed by ship in what must have seemed a hostile and alien world, and to have been instructed to start building a village in the middle of nowhere.

Just so we know where we are talking about, here is a map of Southern Africa.
S africa.jpg

And here is a map of Southern Namibia, showing the road from East to West with Kolmanskop on the West coast.

Nam.jpg

There is one road to Kolmanskop and Luderitz, and one road out. It is around 500 miles long, and once you get to the coast, you have to turn around and come back. To the North and South is the Namib desert, Skeleton Coast, with nothing much except verboten diamond claim called the 'Spergebiet' (you will be shot if seen in there, no questions), searing heat, absolutely zero water, and a large species of brown hyena.

View attachment 525070

Last edited:
A few years ago during the winter of 2020 I spent 4 months driving and exploring around Namibia. It was the height of the covid pandemic, and it seemed a good place to hide out, as Namibia has 2.5 million inhabitants, is 4 times the size of Germany, and when Europes covid deaths were rocketting into the 100's of thousands, Namibia had around 400 total fatalities.

I drove around 12,000 miles (6000 off road) in a rented 1.2 VW Polo, and had many adventures up and down the country, met with some amazing people and took over 9000 photos. I thought I would share a few relevant to this forum, in particular a ghost town around 10 miles from a coastal town called Luderitz, called Kolmnaskop.

Kolmanskop was a former German built diamond mining station set up in around 1910 after some stones were discovered there. The place had residential housing, a school, a hospital, even a theatre all built in the desert, surrounded by sand and wind and rocks, and not much else but the lure of wealth beyond imagination.

I often wonder what it must have been like for lower / middle class Germans from say Bremen or Hamburg at the turn of the 20th century to have landed by ship in what must have seemed a hostile and alien world, and to have been instructed to start building a village in the middle of nowhere.

Just so we know where we are talking about, here is a map of Southern Africa.
View attachment 525065

And here is a map of Southern Namibia, showing the road from East to West with Kolmanskop on the West coast.

View attachment 525066

There is one road to Kolmanskop and Luderitz, and one road out. It is around 500 miles long, and once you get to the coast, you have to turn around and come back. To the North and South is the Namib desert, Skeleton Coast, with nothing much except verboten diamond claim called the 'Spergebiet' (you will be shot if seen in there, no questions), searing heat, absolutely zero water, and a large species of brown hyena.

View attachment 525070
Many thanks for what you have posted. It takes me back to the early 1970s when I was living and working in Lesotho. I had a VW 1600 Variant and travelled as far north as the Etosha game park. I also drove across the Namib Desert from Windhoek to Walvis Bay, before heading north to Swakopmund and back to Windhoek. In those days large areas were out of bounds to ordinary travellers, because they were diamond fields. How did the Polo perform over the dirt roads? Only 1.2 as well. My Variant - with the engine in the back - was ideal with its black floor pan. And the weight over the driving wheels. How much of your 12,000 miles was dirt, and how much tar?

Hayman, the 6000 miles of dirt roads completeley trashed the front suspension and by the end of the trip the exhaust had been tied on twice with a wire coat hanger. The dirt roads as you probably know become corrugated by fast moving overland 4 x 4's, it is literally like driving at 40 miles an hour over a corrugated sheet, thousands of miles long. I never went serious off roading, although I did get stuck in a riverbed one time.. but I am not going to admit that.

The car was 6 euros a day to hire.. god knows how they make a profit.

ok, I think I am done here. These photos are 1 meg (1000kb), they don't upload normally, and when they do they look like arse. Seriously, this is too much work to be pleasurable.

yep its a lot of work doing flickr links like I do, but like any hobby u need the dedication t progress.
this shows all my reports Search results
Iv explored well over 1500 places. Of course u dont have to post & the majority dont u can just enjoy exploring for exploring but as prev discussions you wont get people offering help if you dont prove your worth so to speak.

Personally I enjoy the discipline of researching the history & creating the post that will be a lasting memory of something I did

Hayman, the 6000 miles of dirt roads completeley trashed the front suspension and by the end of the trip the exhaust had been tied on twice with a wire coat hanger. The dirt roads as you probably know become corrugated by fast moving overland 4 x 4's, it is literally like driving at 40 miles an hour over a corrugated sheet, thousands of miles long. I never went serious off roading, although I did get stuck in a riverbed one time.. but I am not going to admit that.

The car was 6 euros a day to hire.. god knows how they make a profit.
Thanks for that info. I know all about corrugated roads. In Botswana I saw a great cloud of dust ahead of me. It was a tractor towing the best part of a tree trying to grade out the corrugations. A few years later - in Australia - I had an Austin 1800 that I drove across the north of Western Australia, to Darwin. Then down through The Centre, via Alice Springs and Ayers Rock to Port Augusta, then across to Sydney. Plenty of dirt road and corrugations there. What did the hire company say about the suspension and the exhaust? Were you hit with a repair bill?

ok, I think I am done here. These photos are 1 meg (1000kb), they don't upload normally, and when they do they look like arse. Seriously, this is too much work to be pleasurable.

Why not try resizing them with Photoshop or another image editing package, upload them to Flickr then link here (as Glynn mentioned) or use a dedicated hosting site like IMGBB - Upload Image — Free Image Hosting - then link here or better still insert the images into your posts like you did with the Google maps at the start of your report?

The reason the photos have dreadful-looking banding is that they've been compressed at some point, maybe by the site you've hosted them on, and the smooth gradients have been squashed into 256 or 1024 steps by an aggressive algorithm.

I'm fascinated by Kolmanskop, have never been, although a former colleague went years ago. Would be interesting in seeing your shots, if you're able to stick with it and post some more. :)

Back