More Concrete? Yes but only a couple of pillboxes

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Well it was a cracking weekend all round this time, great weather, great concrete and more important great company. I had the pleasure of showing Munchh round some of my favorite lumps of concrete goodness dotted around the Northeast the results of which I have no doubt he will be posting shortly. Anyway on our travels I thought we would pay a visit to two pillboxes that were still on my never ending todo list and here are the results..... I probably should put a warning on the first pillbox though 'Sunglasses should be warn when viewing the internals', you will see why shortly

Right here we have a type 22 pillbox at Dalton-Le-Dale near Seaham in County Durham. It isn't on the DoB at the moment but the good Captain has informed me it will be on the next update. This one is lucky to survive because back in 2003/4 the council wanted to remove it because it is in a conservation area but it's still there

DSCF7531.jpg

DSCF7532.jpg

DSCF7533.jpg

DSCF7535.jpg

one of the shelves dumped outside

DSCF7537.jpg

internals... you were warned

DSCF7540.jpg

DSCF7539.jpg

DSCF7542.jpg

DSCF7544.jpg

And the other pillbox was a lozenge type S0013375 at Morpeth in Northumberland. Now the DoB says this has P340 painted inside but the numbers were that faded it looked like P366 to us but when I've had another look at my pics it is either 340 or 346. This pillbox is on private land and we were given permission to photograph it. Anyway on with the photos

DSCF7565.jpg

DSCF7566.jpg

DSCF7567.jpg

DSCF7569.jpg

DSCF7570.jpg

DSCF7568.jpg

DSCF7573.jpg

DSCF7588.jpg

internals

DSCF7575.jpg

DSCF7576.jpg

DSCF7577.jpg

DSCF7579.jpg

DSCF7584.jpg

DSCF7582.jpg

it was a bit soggy under foot

DSCF7578.jpg

Pillbox number, told you it was a bit faded lol

DSCF7587.jpg

Well there we have it a nice short one from me this time, hope you enjoyed

Cheers Jon

Northern hospitality is not a myth I'm happy to report. If I'd had any real apprehension about being so far away from my beat down south, it disappeared the minute I met Jon on the Friday evening I arrived in Chester-Le-Street just north of Durham City. What a gent, and a more amiable, enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide you'd be hard pushed to come across anywhere.

These two pillboxes were only a small part of the days adventures to come which encompassed a further 30 sites including my first ever Lozenges.

As Jon said, reports will be forthcoming once I can whittle down the mass of photos taken.......................... and catch up on my sleep......................and get this shit-eating grin off my face.:lol:

Did I enjoy myself? Hell yeah! Thanks again Jon. :):)

A couple from me of the 'new' ones

Type 22 - Dalton-Le-Dale

A warning of things to come inside and a really tight ricochet wall you had to squeeze past to get in. The reason becoming clear as this gave plenty of room around the embrasures for firing positions.

1-DSCF3636.jpg

Christ on a bike, my eyes my eyes!!

2-DSCF3637.jpg

Managed to catch Jon in a thoughtful moment admiring the decoration. Apparently he's planning on suggesting this colour scheme for the bedroom to the missus. Good luck with that one mate. :lol:

3-DSCF3639.jpg

The one Lozenge Jon hadn't seen to date. I could only stand and admire whilst he fed the most outrageous line of bull to the landowner to gain us access. This man really could sell coal to Newcastle.

Nice and unmolested this one, except for the unbelievably soggy mattress which literally grabbed your boots as if trying to prevent you escaping the box.

4-DSCF3729.jpg

Embrasure metalwork, always good to see still surviving.

5-DSCF3733.jpg

Jon explained that the slot below the embrasure was to take the folded together legs of the weapons tripod.

6-DSCF3736.jpg

Plenty more to come. Exactly how long it will take me is another thing altogether. :)

Looks and sounds like you two chaps had a whale of a time but god all mighty that poor pillbox, what did it do to deserve that as a makeover?Looking forward to the rest of your adventures with ray-bans at the ready:):)

Oldscrote you aren't wrong there it was a cracking time and I'm glad to say you can dispense with the sunglasses well that is unless Munchh has any more photos of my ugly mug lol. Senn the pipe was actually rebar flattened at the end and was used to hold the camo nets in place. Glad you enjoyed yourself Munchh mate next time it's type 23's, beehives, fire trenches,various gun emplacements (2lb, 6lb and naval) as well as more stents, 22's, 24's, lozenges and MG emplacements lol

Oldscrote you aren't wrong there it was a cracking time and I'm glad to say you can dispense with the sunglasses well that is unless Munchh has any more photos of my ugly mug lol. Senn the pipe was actually rebar flattened at the end and was used to hold the camo nets in place. Glad you enjoyed yourself Munchh mate next time it's type 23's, beehives, fire trenches,various gun emplacements (2lb, 6lb and naval) as well as more stents, 22's, 24's, lozenges and MG emplacements lol

:eek: Yeah I'm wondering just how pleased with myself I'll be once I check my bank balance and see just how much fuel my big ol' car sucked up on the way to Durham. Next time I've got two choices, either I've got to get some of the southern lads to come up with me to spread the load or I need a petrol tanker to follow me up the motorway. :lol:

In all seriousness, screw the cost, you live in a cracking part of the country and I'm coming back. As you would say mate, champion!

Excellent Cap,n I guess Jonney was wearing the full biffta in that PB. The dribble suit and his famous rubber pants as well. Highly recommended so he doesn't accidentally flood the PB out!!:lol::mrgreen: Excellent shots Munchh.

cheers guys I think it was Munchh that was in need of the dribble pants this time as I took him to see the section posts at Greatham amongst other places and I couldn't just show up clad in rubber the first time I met him now could I lol

:eek: Yeah I'm wondering just how pleased with myself I'll be once I check my bank balance and see just how much fuel my big ol' car sucked up on the way to Durham. Next time I've got two choices, either I've got to get some of the southern lads to come up with me to spread the load or I need a petrol tanker to follow me up the motorway. :lol:

In all seriousness, screw the cost, you live in a cracking part of the country and I'm coming back. As you would say mate, champion!

The more the merrier mate I've still got plenty of concrete left to go round. I'll even do my dodgy French bus driver impression lol

Great report chaps, I assume Jon declined to wear the rubber suit to avoid offending you Munchh?

Excellent Cap,n I guess Jonney was wearing the full biffta in that PB. The dribble suit and his famous rubber pants as well. Highly recommended so he doesn't accidentally flood the PB out!!:lol::mrgreen: Excellent shots Munchh.

:lol::lol:

Thanks guys. :)

Now regarding that suit, I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement and photos were strictly off the agenda. Therefore I can neither confirm nor deny that said items were apparent. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, Jon is a qualified open water diver and takes the leg pulling in good humour. As I said, top bloke.

cheers guys I think it was Munchh that was in need of the dribble pants this time as I took him to see the section posts at Greatham amongst other places and I couldn't just show up clad in rubber the first time I met him now could I lol

:lol::lol:

It's not often you're wrong but you're right again mate, I was like a kid in a sweet shop.:)

excellent pondering 9.5/10

lol am sure Munchh will have taken a few more dodgy shots of me, I seem to recall there is a one of me on top of a starfish decoy bunker chimney waiting for santa to arrive

lol am sure Munchh will have taken a few more dodgy shots of me, I seem to recall there is a one of me on top of a starfish decoy bunker chimney waiting for santa to arrive

Yep, and a few more besides. I'm sure you also got quite a few of your own in which I was looking less than glamorous. Exiting a section post the old fashioned way IIRC. :lol:

Back