New Chernobyl Sarcophagus is sliding into place

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
I've put this in 'General' as it's not a report Per-Se more a reflection. (I took these over 6 years so they're of varying quality / censorship)

I’d always recommend to anyone visiting the zone to read up extensively on the disaster to understand the gravitas of what one is visiting. The wiki entry here is a good starting place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Experiment_and_explosion

IMG_5081_zpse827d07b.jpg

This first hit home to me when we were driving to the reactor for the first time and I turned to one of my fellow explorers to ask how he was feeling about the visit: “It’s like visiting a serial killer at the scene of the crime” he replied completely deadpan.

He was right. At the time of writing this building is estimated to have claimed over one million peoples lives.

When people interrogate me as to why there is so much security surrounding the exclusion zone “Just for an abandoned town” it’s not for Pripyat – it’s for this. This crumbling, cracking, makeshift concrete sarcophagus, which is held up partly be friction, and partly just leaning on the original structure contains Chernobyls legacy. 180 Tonnes of highly, highly radioactive lava, formed from the Uranium fuel.

To put this into context, a kilo of uranium holds more energy than 2700 tonnes of coal.

IMG_0915_zps9a517720.jpg

IMG_0992_zps1b56ca6b.jpg

To compare the accidental contamination to Fukushima – So far Fukushima has released 370 PBq. Chernobyl Released 5,200 PBq almost instantly.

During the disaster 5% of the fuel was thrown into the air in a steam explosion, which has contaminated most of Northern Europe indefinitely. 95% of it is still here. In there.

I still find it astounding that I can stand here, a mere 100 meters from it.

Reactor seen from across the cooling pond:
IMG_0829_zpsb389ec0d.jpg

IMG_0850_zpsec06df3a.jpg

2010 mission with reactor in background:
IMG_0862-Copy_zpsd955a8ab.jpg

I've visited it extensively over the last six years with a wide variety of groups.

2010:
2010_zpspxpoppb5.jpg

2011 Spring:
2011_zpscsqkzgx5.jpg

2011 Summer:
2011%202_zpsnfsziyth.jpg

2012:
2012_zpsg5we8vs8.jpg

2014: (Note the cranes)
IMG_5389_zpswshkafm6.jpg

And of course my infamous 30th Birthday. We booked every single place available for a trip so we could have the whole city of Pripyat to ourselves. I still cant believe I got Mrs X to come out there! (note my badge! :p)
IMG_9423-Copy_zps40c7700a.jpg

So it’s on borrowed time. It’s been patched up a few times though...

Here’s a before and after of the when the roof covering was repaired in 2009. (The new roof partially collapsed in 2011 under snow, but to no detriment)

IMG_5667_zps36b77ebd.jpg

IMG_5668_zpsa070b52f.jpg

Work on the new safe confinement is now complete. A massive arched structure which they are building several hundred meters away from the plant (safer radiation dose for workers) The plan is to then slide the whole thing over the sarcophagus, (quickly, to limit dosage) at the end. Here’s the plan:
IMG_5672_zps725a4ad1.jpg

They had on display a table of how much every country has contributed to the new structure:
(What I find odd is Austria have put in 10 million euros, yet their “Effective contribution” is 2 euros less…where did those 2 euros go?!)

IMG_5671_zpsd388fb8d.jpg

Work starts on the first segment of the arch – May 2012

IMG_9426_zps912448b4.jpg

Here it was when I visited one year later:
IMG_5381_zpscbecnn27.jpg

Right now the sarcophagus is sliding into place, and is the largest moving object on earth.

The iconic chimney that we all associate with the disaster is now gone forever. It's for the best.

One year in one minute (not my vid)

Feel free to add your own memories below.

Nice posting. If I'm right is it radioactive for 1000 years? It is devastating what happened here.

If you're talking about inside and underneath the reactor and resulting fuel rod meltdown goo it's more like 20,000 years, or longer. The same as it is for all the nuclear waste we're generating that we have no idea how to deal with.

Last edited:
Truly awesome, puts the scale of that in perspective nicely.

Amazing your reports on chernobyl are always worth reading with the information you produce. Reading them over the years has let me see a place I won't ever get the chance to see even though I remember it happening at the time. Thanks for your work

Latest posts

Back