Paris sewers

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheep2405

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Organized tours of the sewers were first offered in 1889. Tours were available twice monthly, and visitors were transported through the sewers on boats and wagons.
The museum details the history of the sewers from their initial development by Hugues Aubriot, provost of Paris in the late 14th century, to their modern structure, which was designed in the 19th century by the engineer Eugène Belgrand. The museum also details the role of sewer workers and methods of water treatment.
60ED8697-EFBC-4CB5-8A1D-975D996EE9A7.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F07F86C-C839-41EC-BAFE-8084BA7A9C26.jpeg
    6F07F86C-C839-41EC-BAFE-8084BA7A9C26.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • F8B8E439-1EAC-48C2-9CE4-31450B518D8A.jpeg
    F8B8E439-1EAC-48C2-9CE4-31450B518D8A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 4B635AEE-49EC-419F-8924-3CF7424EA508.jpeg
    4B635AEE-49EC-419F-8924-3CF7424EA508.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Organized tours of the sewers were first offered in 1889. Tours were available twice monthly, and visitors were transported through the sewers on boats and wagons.
Cool pics! Interesting place to see.

I understand London's cash-strapped Mayor Kahn is planning similar tours of the capital's sewers - at a price! As soon as the compulsory disabled-access can be sorted out.
I’d be absolutely amazed if anything of that sort is established as a regular attraction. I know Thames Water do their annual sewer week that involves taking a tour group, but as a permanent fixture?! Can’t see it. It is a missed trick though. Wren’s Fleet Bridge chamber under Ludgate Circus would lend itself really well to being adapted as an attraction. But the idea in general is not far removed from the nonsense proposals to ‘daylight’ lost rivers in North London. 😂

I’d be absolutely amazed if anything of that sort is established as a regular attraction. I know Thames Water do their annual sewer week that involves taking a tour group, but as a permanent fixture?! Can’t see it. It is a missed trick though. Wren’s Fleet Bridge chamber under Ludgate Circus would lend itself really well to being adapted as an attraction. But the idea in general is not far removed from the nonsense proposals to ‘daylight’ lost rivers in North London. 😂
Almost every other discussion on the Stockport groups on Facebook seemed to mention opening up the River Mersey, even though it would cost billions to do it, as the banks would need shoring up after removing the concrete arches under Merseyway precinct.

I wasn't aware of the Thames Water 'sewer week'. I see Bearing Net has an online article about the 2016 walk. Sign up now for the one in 2023.

I wasn't aware of the Thames Water 'sewer week'. I see Bearing Net has an online article about the 2016 walk. Sign up now for the one in 2023.
neither was I - I belong to the Greater London Industrial Archaeology Society and haven't seen it advertised in any of their newsletters. Would be interested in doing a tour.

neither was I - I belong to the Greater London Industrial Archaeology Society and haven't seen it advertised in any of their newsletters. Would be interested in doing a tour.
I've never partaken in any of the sewer week activities, though I have spent many an hour sipping tea at Abbey Mills. It might be worth a shot pinging an email to [email protected] to see if they're running anything in 2023.

I've never partaken in any of the sewer week activities, though I have spent many an hour sipping tea at Abbey Mills. It might be worth a shot pinging an email to [email protected] to see if they're running anything in 2023.
I sent an email to that address and got an automated reply saying such sewer weeks have been cancelled because of the extra risks associated with Covid. Since the reply mentioned "registering for a free tour [of Abbey Mills] on the weekend of 19th – 20th September 2020" it is a very old automatic reply. There's a phone number 0800 980 8800 that might help, and [email protected] to try. I have just sent an email enquiry. I'll let you know what reply I receive.

I sent an email to that address and got an automated reply saying such sewer weeks have been cancelled because of the extra risks associated with Covid. Since the reply mentioned "registering for a free tour [of Abbey Mills] on the weekend of 19th – 20th September 2020" it is a very old automatic reply. There's a phone number 0800 980 8800 that might help, and [email protected] to try. I have just sent an email enquiry. I'll let you know what reply I receive.
Well done. TBH I was always amazed that they took the time to organise any kind of tours at all, with the associated risks and effort involved. Be interesting to see if you hear anything back. (y)

Latest posts

Back