Phillips Park Anglican Chapel

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partypebbles

Reaction score
History

It was founded in 1866.
Philips Park Cemetery was Manchesters first municipal public cemetery when it opened in 1866, though work was in fact not completed on its grounds and structures until the following year. Manchester Corporation had held an open competition in 1863 for the design of a cemetery to the north of the River Medlock; from forty entries submitted, Manchester architects Paull and Ayliffes designs for the buildings and William Gay of Bradfords designs for the grounds were chosen. Manchester Corporation recruited unemployed cotton mill workers to carry out the laying out and planting work.

The site was divided into separate areas for different denominations, with the largest portion (8 hectares) at the western end, nearest to town and the main entrance, for the Church of England. Dissenters, or non-conformists, had the 5.5 hectare centre portion, and Roman Catholics a 3 hectare portion at the eastern end. Each portion had its own mortuary chapel, all built in the gothic revival style but to different designs. A fourth mortuary chapel and burial area, for Jews, was later added. Of the four mortuary chapels, only the Anglican chapel now remains.

(Source "Friends of Philips Park Cemetery")

The park lodge and corner house have both been recently renovated, leaving only the chapel derelict.

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Last edited:
i used to live next to phillip's park for a year and a half and didn't even know that church was there, show's you how much i 'splore' lol

Yep there is a family from the Lusitania ship too.....quite cool! Its good whats happened to the area with the building of the City Stadium, Sports City and now the new Manchester City Academy.... the park and cemetary used to be so unloved. I just hope that like the lodge and the corner house, the chapel will be restored too. Its quite unsecure and would be easy to get inside (I know people have in the past) but I always seem to have a child with me lol, I would love to see whats left inside now.

Latest posts

Back