Predannack Royal Naval School Of Fire Fighting (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I know this site has been posted before on the Forum, however, this is my take on this fascinating place. The airfield is operated by the Royal Navy and is home to the Royal Naval School Of Fire Fighting. The airfield itself dates from World War Two and was opened in 1941. During the war Coastal Command flew anti submarine and convoy support missions using such aircraft as Bristol Beaufighters and De-Havilland Mosquito’s.

Flying continues today with the 626 Volunteer Gliding Squadron using the airfield to fly its Grob 109 powered gliders.

The shots are from April 2010.

Handley Page Jetstream T2 - XX479

DSC_8078.jpg

Hawker Siddeley Dominie T1 - XS738

DSC_8035.jpg

Landing light detail - Hawker Siddeley Dominie T1 - XS738

DSC_8128.jpg

Cockpit detail - XS738

DSC_8041.jpg

Navigators Position - XS738

DSC_8037.jpg

Close up navigators position - XS738

DSC_8050.jpg

English Electric Canberra B(I)6 - WT308 - the aileron attached to the wing was making a forlorn sound
as it flapped in the wind

DSC_8152.jpg

Roundel and tail detail - WT308

DSC_8137.jpg

Switch detail - WT308

DSC_8016.jpg

WT308 was formerly based at the Aeroplane & Armament Experimental Establishment Boscombe Down

DSC_8032.jpg

Data stamps - WT308

DSC_8156.jpg

Westland Sea King HAS.5 - XS570

DSC_8023.jpg

Cockpit detail - Sea King XS570

DSC_8025.jpg

Zap as attached to XS570

DSC_8157.jpg

Air dropped torpedo

DSC_8029.jpg

Westland Wessex HAS.1 - XS885

DSC_8122.jpg

Instrument panel - XS885

DSC_8120.jpg

Sepecat Jaguar T4 - XX845

DSC_8114.jpg

XX845 - Recently delivered from RAF Cosford

DSC_8112.jpg

XX845

DSC_8108.jpg

Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 - XX969

DSC_8075.jpg

Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 - XV753 - tail detail

DSC_8124.jpg

British Aerospace Sea Harrier - F/A.2 - ZD581 - such a shame as this is still a very state of the art fighter
they really were retired too early

DSC_8093.jpg

Engine bay detail - ZD581

DSC_8072.jpg

Pegasus engine vectored thrust nozzle opening - ZD581

DSC_8100.jpg

30mm Aden cannon breech - ZD581

DSC_8098.jpg

Stencilling detail - ZD581

DSC_8099.jpg

Westland Wessex HAS.3 - XP137

DSC_8171.jpg

Roll Royce Gnome Turboshafts - Westland Wessex HU.5 - XS520

DSC_8165.jpg

Even the windsock has seen better days

DSC_8011.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I love your pics and have always felt that there is something unique about derelict avaition. Its a real shame to see aircraft dying of the same type that private owners are struggling to restore to keep a memory of our heritage.

Great stuff.

Top notch report with some crackin' photo's.Are the planes still used in conjunction with fire training or are they just dumped awaiting the (gas) axeman !! Are there any others or is this the lot !!!:)

It seems there are new planes or atleast ones we didn't get to,the 'XX845' takes my fancy,It was the one plane we didn't go to 'it looked all asunder upon it's knee's'.Have to go back now,cheer's for some great shots,I love Predannick.The military gave us verbal permission to be on site.Not! I think that that makes it an open house.
I will just add a lot of the land surrounding is open access.including the mounds betwixt the planes.shot me dead if I am wrong!

Top notch report with some crackin' photo's.Are the planes still used in conjunction with fire training or are they just dumped awaiting the (gas) axeman !! Are there any others or is this the lot !!!:)

I believe they are still used for non-destructive training but eventually they pass their sell by date and are then removed from site for scrapping. Once this happens new airframes are brought in to continue the process. There are some others on-site but on the far side of the airfield mostly Harriers. Getting to them would mean walking across the centre of the airfield so I was not that brave !!

Canberra WT308

Looking through some old shots I found this photo I took in 1984 of WT308, on approach to Boscombe Down which is shown derelict in my post of Predannack. Sad really, from airbourne to scrap metal :cry: It was like meeting an old friend from the past as I hadn't realised I had this photo :exclaim:

Untitled-Scanned-01c.jpg

Last edited:
Hit the wrong button with regards the thanks :mrgreen: It is not a trek if you have a look at the map you will see.

Back