RAF Alconbury, Cambridgeshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would reply as my husband works for RAFl LAKENHEATH and. Be careful there are going to be security and dogs there they have cameras up and MOD have seen people in the re the grounds. Just a heads up ok!
It's not active this is the abandoned bit being demolished for housing Alconbury Weald developers own it, 1,000s new homes, cafe, shop, school, heritage centre is going up there mini village. Its privately owned and has been since 2015.

It looks like it had a previous owner who was planning to build homes but they must have sold it again in 2009 so it has been privately owned for some years.

This is the airfield site.
Screenshot_20240409_191716_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Land registry will tell you it's privately owned it has not been MOD or USAF since 2014 when it was sold privately to be demolished for housing and heritage centre new shire hall etc.
Screenshot_20240409_190049_Chrome.jpg

I had a look recently. About 2/3rds of the hangars on the flight side are now rubble. There's a very nice storage bunker area out on a limb and it can be accessed if you look for the clues of bottles and cans and are up for a bit of climbing. Lots of nice observations towers.

There are ways onto the main site despite most holes being sealed up. One involves a gate climb and the other involves a cheeky walk around the perimeter road. There's a fence separating that road from the hangars which means it's not as simple as just getting through a hole in the fence. During the two days I was in the area I didn't see any security patrols, though there was a parked car outside one building.

I had a look recently. About 2/3rds of the hangars on the flight side are now rubble. There's a very nice storage bunker area out on a limb and it can be accessed if you look for the clues of bottles and cans and are up for a bit of climbing. Lots of nice observations towers.

There are ways onto the main site despite most holes being sealed up. One involves a gate climb and the other involves a cheeky walk around the perimeter road. There's a fence separating that road from the hangars which means it's not as simple as just getting through a hole in the fence. During the two days I was in the area I didn't see any security patrols, though there was a parked car outside one building.
Yeah the bomb stores side & observation towers are not being demolished as still in use by filming company.

The demolition side where the bunkers & hangars were/are separate from the filming company side. There is security driving around and a cctv 360 cam as I saw them a few times and on previous visits but kept hiding as I made my way around the site but had no issues

Waterbeach Barracks also is under redevelopment, One of the sites I used to visit for many years when in the MOD and now see many of them being run down and turned into new villages..who knows where the infrastructure is coming from though.

Waterbeach Barracks also is under redevelopment, One of the sites I used to visit for many years when in the MOD and now see many of them being run down and turned into new villages..who knows where the infrastructure is coming from though.
"who knows where the infrastructure is coming from though." If you mean utilities such as water supplies, sewerage, electricity, plus roads, schools, medical centres, etc - they are in dire straits now. I take it that there will be no gas piped to the new houses - that would be too sensible.

Latest posts

Back