Stretford Memorial Hospital - Manchester Jan '23

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrian

Old but not obsolete
Reaction score
HISTORY: Stretford Memorial Hospital was designed in an "Italianate" style as a private residence known as Basford House and completed in around 1850. It was lent to the British Red Cross for use as an auxiliary hospital during the First World War. In 1925 a local trust converted the building into a maternity hospital as a memorial to soldiers who died in the First World War. (Hence the name.) It became NHS in 1948 and was converted for use as a geriatric hospital in October 1985 which you can tell from the upstairs room. Closed in 2015. In May 2021, a developer submitted proposals for the restoration of the building to the trust.

EXPLORE: the cameras are all over and active. sealed up really well. happy to share more with any of my contacts if interested. although this is probably going to hit youtube soon, as I know one has heard about the 'flaw'. so security might get tighter in the coming weeks like that school in Formby where they started arresting people. There is a separate building on the site we forgot about on our way out and there is an asbestos warning sign but ... yeah ...

IMG_20230211_130139.jpg

IMG_20230211_120649.jpg

IMG_20230211_120902.jpg

IMG_20230211_123912.jpg

IMG_20230211_125211.jpg

The amount of stairs got confusing as some made connections and others didn't:

IMG_20230211_124138.jpg

We didn't hang the guy. It was like that when we walked into the room:

IMG_20230211_123543.jpg

IMG_20230211_115737.jpg

IMG_20230211_121341.jpg

3rd floor is a bit sketchy:

IMG_20230211_122231.jpg

Always bothers me when so much effort is covered or destroyed:

IMG_20230211_122348.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it would've been a great place to see not long after it had shut. Seems quite packed inside.

thanks - the mosaic is lovely, what a shame it's fast disappearing.
It always amazes and annoys me, when the explorers here post about abandoned NHS buildings, how much mess there is, and how much equipment and furniture is just left to rot. I bet some of the detritus littering the floor contains medical notes and personal information. Doesn't anyone in the NHS take responsibility for vacating premises in an orderly and respectful way ?
(sorry, rant over)

It always amazes and annoys me, when the explorers here post about abandoned NHS buildings, how much mess there is, and how much equipment and furniture is just left to rot. I bet some of the detritus littering the floor contains medical notes and personal information. Doesn't anyone in the NHS take responsibility for vacating premises in an orderly and respectful way ?
(sorry, rant over)

Iv seen shocking amounts patients records etc in hospitals it seems crazy that someone doesn't think to get rid of this stuff!

(sorry, rant over)
I thought exactly this too :(

(sorry, rant over)
The worst we see is usually things like care homes for the elderly. Dodgy owners just walk out with only the equipment when bankrupt and closed down. They leave all medical notes. And they are usually embarrassing including full name, contact address and phone number - but also how many times they've wet the bed, whether they can feed themselves, what medication they are on, if they are struggling with bowel movements, etc. In Mossley the top floor is just carpeted with them. My daughter said we should take them all outside and burn them. But we'd probably get into trouble for that! Even though the bankrupt owner won't for leaving them. 🤷‍♂️

You have made that place look good. Cant believe the chair is still in tact.
Good report
Security was slow that day but at least they showed up. And looks like they fix break-ins quite quickly too. Lots of repairs showing. Our access was difficult so probably not a place teens do much which means stuff stays intact.

It's a tough one. I wish places like this had better security to stop vandals and arsonists. But then again, the more security the less chance of us getting to see.... 🤔

(sorry, rant over)
Nobody in the NHS takes responsibility for ANYTHING. The nurses and doctors are great, but the managers are all a complete waste of time. Vast wage bills and achieve absolutely nothing [and i work there]

john..

The worst we see is usually things like care homes for the elderly. Dodgy owners just walk out with only the equipment when bankrupt and closed down. They leave all medical notes. And they are usually embarrassing including full name, contact address and phone number - but also how many times they've wet the bed, whether they can feed themselves, what medication they are on, if they are struggling with bowel movements, etc. In Mossley the top floor is just carpeted with them. My daughter said we should take them all outside and burn them. But we'd probably get into trouble for that! Even though the bankrupt owner won't for leaving them. 🤷‍♂️
OMG that's awful. No respect.

yeah absolutely true

yeah absolutely true
Not sure you would... So far as i know you cannot be prosecuted for doing something that is in the public interest.. It is not as simple as that, but the law operates along those lines..

john..

Back