Tai O, Lantau Island, Hong Kong, China, August 2023

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
Tai O is a fishing town, located on western side of Lantau Island in Hong Kong, The traditional stilted fishing village- is one of five major areas of settlement on the island and takes its name from the Chinese for “large inlet”, as is located predominantly on the banks of the river.

The sit shows evidence of inhabitation that stretch right back to the Stone Age, although the main habitation of the area has been over the last 300 years. Folklore cites Tai O as the centre for frequent smuggling and piracy operations, including guns, tobacco and drugs. It’s close proximity to Macao explains why the area was subject to Portuguese occupation in the 1700s.

To the south at Fan Lau, a fort was built in 1729 to protect shipping on the Pearl River. In 1911 census, the population of Tai O was 7,661. During the Chinese civil war Tai O was a major entry point for those escaping from the People's Republic of China. The nearby salt marshes covering 70 acres became a base for salt production in the 1930s, which along with fishing was the major occupation of Tai O’s residence. The village has suffered depopulation over recent decades as young generations saw their livelihood elsewhere on HK. In 2000, a large fire broke out destroying many of the wooden-built stilt huts. Some have been rebuilt and the island also now relies on day-tripping HK tourists to supplement the local economy. The village boasts nine Grad 2/3 listed buildings including temples, it’s former police station, residences and shop houses.

2. The Explore
First report from my recent Hong Kong jaunt and something a little different. This report documents the many abandoned and derelict houses and buildings in the Tai O vicinity. So nothing mind-blowingly exciting in its own right but still plenty of stuff worth documenting and reporting as a collection of places. The pictures were taken over the three or four days we stayed here and we explored the local vicinity.

3. The Pictures

Derelict shop in the centre:

Rotting dragon boat:

Abandoned and rotting house on north-west side:

No entry to this place but it looks an interesting building:

Abandoned residence on the south bank:

Plenty of dereliction in this area:

This former shop here:

Revealed this little gem:

Another derelict house:

Some abandoned stilt houses, victims of the great fire:

And never rebuilt:

Moving up the creek on the east bank and a dead boat:

This house is now just walls only:

Further up, not too sure what this complex was for:

Heading down the west bank came to this abandoned place:

Nothing special until I clapped eyes on this wonderful neon sign:

To be continued...

CONTINUED:
Next, we headed east out of Tai O, up the coast and came across this old house. Been to Tai O numerous times but never clocked this place:

Not too much to report:

Further up is this bunker like structure that I’ve previously reported on. Not too much has changed:

It’s almost brutalist in its design:

Concrete and greenery:

Then on to another old fave – the house by the sea that leans:

Again, it’s a pretty empty shell:

But it has some views:

But still photogenic:

And some groovy tiles:

Further up – some old fisherman’s houses:

Pretty far gone:

And another:

Love the bamboo effect drain-pipe:

Obligatory bird cage:

P

And another:

Yet another abandoned house:

And another:

P

That’s it for Tai O!

Last edited:
I suppose you could call that an epic trip. I've been to Hong Kong years ago and my cousin who lived there showed me around but that was one place I never knew about. Did you notice the old round pin plugs

I suppose you could call that an epic trip. I've been to Hong Kong years ago and my cousin who lived there showed me around but that was one place I never knew about. Did you notice the old round pin plugs
Also the two boxes for the electricity meters, and the three water meters on the three pipes to three separate flats.

I did indeed mate! Love HK. Surprisingly good for urbex!

Back