Warkworth and Alnmouth Pillboxes (pic heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Well I thought I would head North again and try and get a few pillboxes from between Warkworth and Alnmouth in Northumberland done. Well what a mixed bag of pillboxes they turned out to be. This is once again very pic heavy so I'll say sorry now. I will start with one of my personal favorites, a one karltrowitz did back in March, the camouflaged pillbox S0002877 at Gloster Hill, Amble

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

internals

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

sandbag steps

IMG_0556.jpg

Next up I moved on to Warkorth it's self and pillbox S0013364 a brick built Lozenge and even though the DoB placemark was spot on it was still a bitch to find as mother nature has all but reclaimed this one

it's in there somewhere

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

internals

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

view of mother nature from one of the embrasures

IMG_0572.jpg

Now for another type of pillbox. This time a beehive type, it is on the DoB but has no number and the placemark is on the wrong side of the road albeit only 30 foot from where it should be. Again it took a while to find this due to nature taking over

IMG_0575.jpg

its there honest

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

internals

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

the roof was starting to sag and disintegrate

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

On the way to the next one I stopped to photograph these

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

and this strange piece of scrap on the beach (any ideas)

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

Right now we have pillbox S0007204 the DoB has this marked as an anti tank gun emplacement. There are two placemarks for this emplacement

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

The bricks are where the door should have been

IMG_0609.jpg

internals taken through embrasure as there was no way inside. In the next photo it looks as if there could have been an extra room, possibly a magazine, behind the doorway

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

the holdfast (note the water in the bottom)

IMG_0603.jpg

very patriotic caravan lol

IMG_0614.jpg

moving swiftly on I headed just up the road to Alnmouth to get the pillboxes I missed last time. The next two can only be reached at very low tide because they are on an island in the river estuary

First up is the lozenge pillbox on top of church hill island. The DoB has this one as being removed although only the roof can be seen as it's been back filled

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

would take some digging out

IMG_0640.jpg

Also on the island and marked on the DoB as an anti tank gun emplacement is the following photos although I wasn't convinced about it so after some investigation I found the following in a document

6.4 Mortuary Chapel and Curate’s Concrete House
A wall (HER 5731) was built around the base of Church Hill to stop erosion. A mortuary
chapel (HER 5445), built by public subscription, was constructed close to this wall in 1870. It
has a Norman style doorway and, now weathered, looks convincingly early (Pevsner 1992,
130). The roof of the chapel was deliberately removed by the National Trust in recent times to
deter squatters. A demolished structure a little to the south of the mortuary chapel, which
looks like the remains of a World War II pillbox, is in fact a concrete house, built for the curate
of Alnmouth church in the second half of the nineteenth century, presumably at the same time
as the houses of concrete construction along Lovaine Terrace.

I have photos of the chapel as well and will post them in the religious section in due course. Sorry about posting this in the ww2 forum but its just to show that it isn't a pillbox as has been reported in the past

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

And last but not least we have something that isn't on the DoB, a defended building. I wasn't going to bother with it because it just looked like an old ruined barn or farm building but curiosity got the better of me and I had to go take a look. Boy was I pleased I did. most of the 20 embrasures (7 on each of the long sides and 3 on each of the gables)

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

note the bricked up embrasure

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0648.jpg

the only whole embrasure

IMG_0654.jpg

Well that's all folks, hope you made it to the end and enjoyed a look at some more of our Northumbrian goodies

Cheers Jon

I'm running out of superlatives. The sheer amount of defences appearing in this and other recent reports is staggering. Lots of diversity from several stoplines and defended localities.

The line of AT cubes is very impressive and you have to applaud the simple ingenuity of using sandbags filled with concrete to build a PB. I don't see anything like that down here. Soon as I find the time and money I'll be knocking on the door up your way.

Thanks jonney, another triumph. :)

I'm running out of superlatives. The sheer amount of defences appearing in this and other recent reports is staggering. Lots of diversity from several stoplines and defended localities.

The line of AT cubes is very impressive and you have to applaud the simple ingenuity of using sandbags filled with concrete to build a PB. I don't see anything like that down here. Soon as I find the time and money I'll be knocking on the door up your way.

Thanks jonney, another triumph. :)

Cheers Munchh, there are quite a few pillboxes left on the Croquet stop line up here and I have placemarks for them all but just haven't got round to documenting them yet and there are still shed loads of others to do yet. If you ever find yourself up this way let me know and I'll show you around

Yet another great set mate cheers:) Making me pine for lozenges now how bad is that

No lol been all 22s need a change back again

I've still got loads of 22's to do that are quite local to me just haven't got round to doing them I'll probably get them done over the winter when I can't get out and about as much

Latest posts

Back