Watersaw Mine - Feb 23

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikinGlynn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Watersaw Mine

52726297260_c6b081c3f5_c.jpg

Watersaw Mine or Sallet Hole adit no.2 as it is also known was opened in 1965 and was originally owned by Laporte Minerals who worked it for fluorspar barytes lead. In 1987 after persistent tunnelling, it linked up with the lower Sallet Hole Mine. Watersaw then took over as the main haulage route after Sallet Hole closed. It consisted of an east and west ramp. The shorter east ramp was worked until around 2009. The longer west ramp which was linked to Sallet Hole no.1 adit was worked until the mine closed in December 2010.

52725880956_ed415ea9a0_c.jpg

The site was cleared, and the mine put on a ‘care and maintenance’ programme by the current owners, British Fluorite Limited, due to consented ore reserves still remaining and a desire by BFL to maintain the option of re-commencing fluorspar operations underground, subject to commercial viability and availability of alternative sources of supply. It was estimated that if workings were to resume, Watersaw could produce between 300 – 600 tonnes of fluorspar ore per day. Despite this, the mine has not re-opened and has suffered three managed surface collapses above where the fluorspar vein has been worked.

52726361418_03fb028ed6_c.jpg

Did this solo after a morning elsewhere with @HughieD , fairly relaxed explore though I would of liked to of gone further over some collapses etc but didnt risk it on my own.
The tunnels appeared to carry on above this ladder but wooden floor looked very sketchey.
this place dose seem to of changed with further collapses since earlier reports.

52726297130_a923737cca_c.jpg

52726362053_8e55b4898a_c.jpg

52726137544_101c6d52b4_c.jpg

52726297025_91ea787b1f_c.jpg

52726296505_08736471e5_c.jpg

52725358532_a03a7fd760_c.jpg

52725358112_dc86a19d62_c.jpg

52726360433_2aff2a0fd1_c.jpg

52725358352_5b4ee99dcc_c.jpg

52725358052_b465ee36b5_c.jpg

Thats all from here

"Despite this, the mine has not re-opened and has suffered three managed surface collapses above where the fluorspar vein has been worked." Does "three managed surface collapses" mean they were deliberate? If so, what were the reasons for them?

"Despite this, the mine has not re-opened and has suffered three managed surface collapses above where the fluorspar vein has been worked." Does "three managed surface collapses" mean they were deliberate? If so, what were the reasons for them?

I wondered that myself (did just copy & paste info) but Im guessing it does, I think they would prob do this if they find a unstable section during a survey to avoid unexpected collapses.

The photos are interesting about that place. I like the translucent wall with door in the bottom photo.

Rather you than me my friend no way would I go in there. Love the photos though, nice one

u should see what we are doing tomorrow, 3 & half hour drive to wales then 6-8hr underground climbing ropes & swimming through sludge, gonna be a bit nippy lol

I wondered that myself (did just copy & paste info) but Im guessing it does, I think they would prob do this if they find a unstable section during a survey to avoid unexpected collapses.
Where the country rock is visible, it looks quite fragmented and liable to collapse. That sink hole in what looks like an ordinary field planted with rows of some crop
shows how chance collapses can occur, let alone 'managed' ones. Even so,
a managed collapse can have an effect right up to the surface above it. Was there
mining in the area of the sinkhole photo? If so, how deep was it?

Where the country rock is visible, it looks quite fragmented and liable to collapse. That sink hole in what looks like an ordinary field planted with rows of some crop
shows how chance collapses can occur, let alone 'managed' ones. Even so,
a managed collapse can have an effect right up to the surface above it. Was there
mining in the area of the sinkhole photo? If so, how deep was it?
yeah heavily mined area not far below, there has been many collapses locally to me over the years, most notable in the 50s when a field opened up mid football match!

yeah heavily mined area not far below, there has been many collapses locally to me over the years, most notable in the 50s when a field opened up mid football match!
Was that coal mining? I recall driving through the goldfields areas around Johannesburg and seeing the results of 'dewatering' - pumping out ground water before shaft-sinking and tunnelling.
The surface looked like a lunar landscape, apart from the fact that it was covered in rough scrub rather than bare rock.

Back