Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Staffordshire County Lunatic Asylum (St Georges) Jan 10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Age
    49
    Posts
    224
    Thanked
    574

    Default Staffordshire County Lunatic Asylum (St Georges) Jan 10


    The Staffordshire County Lunatic Asylum was founded in 1818 on Corporation Street, Stafford.
    It later became St George's Hospital and closed some time during the mid nineties.

    Visited on a snowy Sunday morning, a bit of a mission to get in. Bumped into two others as I was leaving, if you happen to see this, I hope it all went well.

    It doesn't look like there is long left for it now, it is pretty much falling apart by itself but demo is looming as there are demolition tags all over the place which were not here when I visited last April. The floors that are left are really dodgy and to be honest it is that far gone it is pretty much a ruin in places.

    Not a lot to see really and I still didn't manage to find the basement.


























  2.  
     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In the past
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,848
    Thanked
    561

    Default


    I like the look of this place..that second pic of the stairwell is great.The floors sure are knacked too..think I will visit one night

  4. #3
    Join Date
    January 2007
    Location
    East Devon's Jurassic Park!
    Posts
    8,640
    Thanked
    1005

    Default


    Woo to that collapsing floor! Good to see the old girl's just about hanging on though. I was editing some 07 visit pics for my website the other day, and was wondering if she still looked the same out front.
    Cheers for posting, sj. Love the little windowed stair pic. :)
    "...If we lose our spiritual bond with the land they'll be nothing left of us as a nation..." Phil Rickman.

    I can't read and I can't write, but that don't really matter,
    I come from the west country and I can drive a tractor.


    Website Story

  5. #4
    Join Date
    April 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,477
    Thanked
    8073

    Default


    Nice one! Didn't realise that this was a fair size building. The decay is absolutely beautiful, you've captured it well. I love that floor too! :p
    www.urbanXphotography.co.uk
    "We're not giving you a quote for your stupid forum signature"
    - Essex Police

  6. #5
    Join Date
    September 2005
    Location
    Inverness-shire
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,159
    Thanked
    268

    Default


    The collapsing floor shot makes me queasy. Nice shots.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Sutton in Ashfield
    Age
    57
    Posts
    187
    Thanked
    20

    Default


    Good stuff mate, looks like the scaffolding has been thinned out a bit since mine and Neosea's visit, (could be wrong though) shame about the basement but theres always next time ;)
    Duct Tape, keeping bitches quiet for over 40 years.

    http://www.urbanography.org.uk <<<< UPDATED!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Age
    49
    Posts
    224
    Thanked
    574

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Gangeox View Post
    Good stuff mate, looks like the scaffolding has been thinned out a bit since mine and Neosea's visit, (could be wrong though) shame about the basement but theres always next time ;)
    Yes, there is a lot less scaffolding in the hall than there was when I was there previously.

    I plan on returning for the basement, it isn't much of a drive for me to get there.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Sutton in Ashfield
    Age
    57
    Posts
    187
    Thanked
    20

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by sj9966 View Post
    Yes, there is a lot less scaffolding in the hall than there was when I was there previously.

    I plan on returning for the basement, it isn't much of a drive for me to get there.
    Did you notice anywork that had been carried out where the scaffolding was? or maybe they are hoping the roof collapses for their own means
    Duct Tape, keeping bitches quiet for over 40 years.

    http://www.urbanography.org.uk <<<< UPDATED!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanked
    0

    Default


    My boyfriend lives directly opposite this! Didn't realise until i saw Corporation Street!
    Love your shots! Is it still like this? I'm doing an A level photography project for Growth and Decay so figured this would be a great place to take photos! and i'm going up there in 2 weeks :D

  11. #10
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Age
    49
    Posts
    224
    Thanked
    574

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Gangeox View Post
    Did you notice anywork that had been carried out where the scaffolding was? or maybe they are hoping the roof collapses for their own means
    Too be honest I didn't notice, they are renovating some of the buildings close to it but the main buliding is covered in demolition tags.

    Quote Originally Posted by SophieW View Post
    My boyfriend lives directly opposite this! Didn't realise until i saw Corporation Street!
    Love your shots! Is it still like this? I'm doing an A level photography project for Growth and Decay so figured this would be a great place to take photos! and i'm going up there in 2 weeks :D
    Thanks, and yes it is still like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

About us
DerelictPlaces is a forum for people with an interest in the history and documentation of disused, derelict and abandoned buildings to come together and share their experiences, photography and historical findings. Our military, industrial and historical heritage is fast disappearing under the pressure of regeneration, the need for new housing, and often through simple neglect; Our aim is to document these places before they disappear entirely.
Follow us