Staffordshire County Lunatic Asylum (St Georges) Jan 10

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to report that there has been another fire here, and it looks like it was pretty bad.

StGeorgesFire.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/8553323.stm

Picture source: http://www.staffordforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=4159&p=2

When i first heard about the fire my first thoughts were "Oh great, it's been finished off ready for the flats" but after i walked round it earlier today (i lve right on the doorstep, and obviously i was the 'right' side of the fence :mrgreen:!!) it wasn't as bad as i first thought... Still bad enough though-

As you look at it from what was the main entrance at the front, the entire West wing is now missing its roof and there looks to be damage to the 3rd floor (obviously!!), a few collapses and water damage on the 2nd floor and possibly 1st floor damage in places... The room with the murals painted on the walls might have been damaged, can't remember if it was on the 2nd or 3rd floor... Typical- the only part with decent floors:lol:!!! Aparently the area around the staff canteen has also been damaged (again)...

I snapped a couple of photos i can post if you want, i was going to try to ask and find out a few details but i was scared off by the mean and tough looking police and firemen :(

Lets hope St. Georges can survive it's latest 'trial by fire' as it was my first explore, i have many good memories of visiting that place with good friends (they know who they are :p) and wouldn't like to see it pulled down for many more years :cry:

Last edited:
As you look at it from what was the main entrance at the front, the entire West wing is now missing its roof and there looks to be damage to the 3rd floor (obviously!!), a few collapses and water damage on the 2nd floor and possibly 1st floor damage in places...

If you stand in front of the entrance the bit to the left had already gone. The latest fire has taken off the rest of the roof. Given the water damage that was there a few years back it probably won't last another rainy spring (or damping down). Inside the roof space was a bit dodgy before due to the damp as it was...

There's probably still the tower, chapel and a few other bits left to visit. You could climb up onto the roof in the centre above the main entrance, not anymore.:neutral:

If you stand in front of the entrance the bit to the left had already gone. The latest fire has taken off the rest of the roof. Given the water damage that was there a few years back it probably won't last another rainy spring (or damping down). Inside the roof space was a bit dodgy before due to the damp as it was...

There's probably still the tower, chapel and a few other bits left to visit. You could climb up onto the roof in the centre above the main entrance, not anymore.:neutral:

Yeah, when we went round we stuck to the right hand side as it had the roof, some floors/ceilings and wasn't too badly damaged- but as you say, with the roof now missing and fire damage it'll soon look like the left hand side- a shell:cry:

I've been most other places, does anyone know where the illusive basement is? Or even the morgue? Been looking for them for ages and i can't find either- it's probably been right under my nose the whole time :lol:!!

affectedarea.jpg

The affected area is highlighted in the red box

missingroof.jpg

The West wing, now the roof is gone it's just a matter of time before it ends up becoming a shell like the East wing

you can see it better here;

[ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showpost.php?p=154179&postcount=21[/ame]

There is no morgue, and the basement is behind a door from the courtyard to the rear of the main building. down near where the tower and back of the chapel are.

Back