Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Old Soviet Aircraft

  1. #1
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    29
    Thanked
    45

    Default Old Soviet Aircraft


    I mentioned in my welcome message about ex-Soviet Militaria on the road between the UK and Kiev.

    These are a few pics of aircraft laying around in a field in Poland, just off the E40.











    Sorry they're not too clear, my camera had taken a tumble earlier in the day and I think it knocked the AF off a bit.

    Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to explore any further and some of the locals started to take more than a passing interest (I think they were trying to sell one to me!).

    Anyway, thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 28th Apr 11 at 17:28. Reason: Speeling misteak.
    "I do not believe in God, nor do I believe in the Devil but, if they were to exist then surely the Devil would have no greater weapon with which to destroy mankind, than Religion."

  2. Thanks given by: alex76, Faing, Foxylady, godzilla73, heeftmeer, hydealfred, Locksley, micnkel, paymaster, pricejs, risingdamp, Snips86x, vixil, zEro101
  3.  
     
  4. #2
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,026
    Thanked
    566

    Thumbs up


    These belong in the sky or in a museum :( Cool find though Snapshot:)
    Aversos Compono Animos

  5. Thanks given by: Snapshot
  6. #3
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    184
    Thanked
    678

    Default


    Great find. Like there to go some day. Very nice shots
    Join us at the biggest urbex event in Europe ever. http://www.urbexeuropa.eu

  7. Thanks given by: Snapshot
  8. #4
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    639
    Thanked
    582

    Default


    Excellent find - what we have here is a MIG15 Fagot - MIG21 Fishbed - MIG23 Flogger & more MIG21's.

    The MIG15 was the prime adversary of the American Sabre in the Korean War. The 21 was one of the most prolific fighters of all time. I remember after the end of the cold war that MIG21's displayed at RIAT Fairford something that would have been undreamed of a few years earlier. Due to the deficiencies of the 21, the 23 was developed to rival the US F.4 Phanton. 23's are still in use and one was seen being shot down over Benghazi Libya in April 2011.

    Thanks for posting these up. :)

  9. Thanks given by: godzilla73, Snapshot, vixil
  10. #5
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Location
    bedfordshire
    Posts
    642
    Thanked
    1028

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by hydealfred View Post
    Excellent find - what we have here is a MIG15 Fagot - MIG21 Fishbed - MIG23 Flogger & more MIG21's.

    The MIG15 was the prime adversary of the American Sabre in the Korean War. The 21 was one of the most prolific fighters of all time. I remember after the end of the cold war that MIG21's displayed at RIAT Fairford something that would have been undreamed of a few years earlier. Due to the deficiencies of the 21, the 23 was developed to rival the US F.4 Phanton. 23's are still in use and one was seen being shot down over Benghazi Libya in April 2011.

    Thanks for posting these up. :)
    nice on you sure know your stuff and thank you snapshot really enjoyed this post
    my facebook page /www.facebook.com/pages/Forsyth-photography/1462728260634652
    my new website; http://www.freewebs.com/alexforsythphotography/

  11. Thanks given by: hydealfred, Snapshot
  12. #6
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    29
    Thanked
    45

    Default


    Don't know if you saw a fairly recent Top Gear, where "The Boys" went on a road-trip through Albania.

    One of the places they stopped at was a veritable Aladin's Cave of old Soviet aircraft, all parked up and waiting for someone to come and give them a litte (well, a lot actually) TLC.

    Oh to win the Lottery and go and "acquire" a few from the Local erm.... Government Ministers (IYKWIM)!
    "I do not believe in God, nor do I believe in the Devil but, if they were to exist then surely the Devil would have no greater weapon with which to destroy mankind, than Religion."

  13. #7
    Join Date
    February 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    639
    Thanked
    582

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Don't know if you saw a fairly recent Top Gear, where "The Boys" went on a road-trip through Albania.

    One of the places they stopped at was a veritable Aladin's Cave of old Soviet aircraft, all parked up and waiting for someone to come and give them a litte (well, a lot actually) TLC.

    Oh to win the Lottery and go and "acquire" a few from the Local erm.... Government Ministers (IYKWIM)!
    I did see that one. Captain Slow was boring the pants off the others by reciting the histories of the aircraft

    MIG15's are flying in preservation in the states I believe. If you have the money you can even have a go in the back seat. Just think someone now has a privately owned MIG29 Fulcrum flying in the states. Now that would be something to brag about !!

  14. #8
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    29
    Thanked
    45

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by hydealfred View Post
    I did see that one. Captain Slow was boring the pants off the others by reciting the histories of the aircraft

    MIG15's are flying in preservation in the states I believe. If you have the money you can even have a go in the back seat. Just think someone now has a privately owned MIG29 Fulcrum flying in the states. Now that would be something to brag about !!
    Take a look:

    http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...-ukrainia.html

    Am I jealous... Hell yeah!

    PS. US SF: 1 OBL: 0
    "I do not believe in God, nor do I believe in the Devil but, if they were to exist then surely the Devil would have no greater weapon with which to destroy mankind, than Religion."


About us
DerelictPlaces is a forum for people with an interest in the history and documentation of disused, derelict and abandoned buildings to come together and share their experiences, photography and historical findings. Our military, industrial and historical heritage is fast disappearing under the pressure of regeneration, the need for new housing, and often through simple neglect; Our aim is to document these places before they disappear entirely.
Follow us